Author Topic: check out my tillering disaster  (Read 9780 times)

Offline alwayslookin

check out my tillering disaster
« on: March 12, 2015, 06:23:04 pm »
So I have been coming in way under weight on my last couple bows and I thought I figured out a way to not this time. I would use the long string and measure the weight from slack to 6 inches down as a guideline and thought I really had it figured out well that didn't correlate at all when I put the actual string so this one is under what I want to. I can't seem to get a fifty pound bow for my life. This one is higher than the last one so that's a plus. I kept this one very long so I can chop some off and possibly flip the tips. How much weight does flipping the tips add? Anyways check my horrible tiller out and let me know where to scape. I was getting a little discouraged cause it seemed like everywhere I thought I should scrape wasn't doing what I thought it would.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline bubby

Re: check out my tillering disaster
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 06:46:38 pm »
You are not useing a gizmo or a straight edge are you, limb on the right is doing all the work inside two thirds of the limb ain't doing anything the other is better but you need to get a straight edge six inches long there should be very little differance in gap the length of the limb
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 07:11:57 pm »
the outer parts of the limbs need to bend more,, you have too much bend toward the handle
when you tiller next time,, get the outer limbs moving a bit and then work toward the handle
you will get the 50 pounder on the next bow :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 07:26:22 pm »
A tillering gizmo will solve your not knowing where to scrape problem.

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 07:28:57 pm »
Hey man,  Your tiller is not as screwed up as you thought....the right limb in the photo is just bending a slower arc than the left (right is flatter but still bending) if you do a little mid-limb work on the right to get nearly symetrical to the left you have all sorts of options flipping the tips, piking her down or both. You need to go slow though....as the right bends a little more the left will bend a little less.....so sneak up on it real slow.

I cant really more because you did not say what bow length was, what draw length you want, ya need to know that to go about gettin a plan.....if you are within 8-10 pounds of what you wanted it is doable.....but like I said right now your the only guy that knows what ya got and where ya want to go >:D  bein a smart-ass. I would leave the tips be for now just even out the midlimb bend and if you need to pike and flip you'll have plenty of wood to work with.

Course everybody will tell I'm nuts anyways....but you can think about it.
rich

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 07:56:02 pm »
I found that for a 26" draw long string tillering out to 10" and looking to get target weight at that distance with the long string puts you 10# over target.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 09:46:54 pm »
I would take Rich's advise. Your not too far off and you still got enough meat on the bone if you need to pike it to up the pounds a bit. I believe I was told it will yield 5# per inch piked but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 07:45:26 am »
In my opinion, the righthand limb is dangerously close to breaking catastrophically at the fade, right at the chrome door handle.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 09:58:55 am »
One thing I learned during floor tiller stage is to get it bending mid limb and outer first, then maybe use the long string find out where to remove material from inner sections.  End up with a lot more material in fades that way and less chance of hinging.......for me anyway.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 10:02:14 am »
   Glue on handle? That convex fade plunging down to flat land is a recipe for disaster.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 10:58:41 am »
I've salvaged a bow with a similar problem once by adding in the central 60 cm / 2ft a few mm of plant fiber backing (sisal cordage untwisted to raw fibers). Reverse drew the bow before gluing the backing on (hide glue), so to pre-stress the fibers when dry. Backing applied well over the fades, and fades out mid limb. Let it dry for a week, then restarted tillering. If it still isn't drawing enough, repeat. Afterwards, I backed that bow with cherry bark to cover the fibers. In addition, it makes the back really water proof.

Two years and many hundreds of shots later, it's still shooting fine. Other specs: red oak heart wood, 67", last 2" mildly flipped, pyramid front shape from 4.5 cm /1.8" outside fades to 1.3 cm / 1/2" at tips. pretty even thickness taper, c. 1.4-1.5 cm thick. Slightly toasted on the belly, working fades and grip. Draws about 45# at 27" but can be drawn no problem to 29", has c. 1" resting set, 1.5" after shooting, shoots c. 155 fps at 10 gpp.

Joachim

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 11:11:40 am »
Thanks for all the responses guys I really appreciate the insight from the pros. The right limb was actually way to stiff before and I noticed the fade was longer and was causing that so I removed some of it to even out and may have went a bit over board.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 11:14:37 am »
I've salvaged a bow with a similar problem once by adding in the central 60 cm / 2ft a few mm of plant fiber backing (sisal cordage untwisted to raw fibers). Reverse drew the bow before gluing the backing on (hide glue), so to pre-stress the fibers when dry. Backing applied well over the fades, and fades out mid limb. Let it dry for a week, then restarted tillering. If it still isn't drawing enough, repeat. Afterwards, I backed that bow with cherry bark to cover the fibers. In addition, it makes the back really water proof.

Two years and many hundreds of shots later, it's still shooting fine. Other specs: red oak heart wood, 67", last 2" mildly flipped, pyramid front shape from 4.5 cm /1.8" outside fades to 1.3 cm / 1/2" at tips. pretty even thickness taper, c. 1.4-1.5 cm thick. Slightly toasted on the belly, working fades and grip. Draws about 45# at 27" but can be drawn no problem to 29", has c. 1" resting set, 1.5" after shooting, shoots c. 155 fps at 10 gpp.

Joachim
hmm that's interesting would jute work in this application?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 02:38:00 pm »
when you tiller next time,, get the outer limbs moving a bit and then work toward the handle

This is funny, because I HAD to learn to do the exact opposite, to start getting good tillers early on.   I leave the limbs full thickness, and consistent thickness, but shape the front profile early on.  This way the bow PREDICTABLY bends at the first 1/4 of limb length in the first few inches of draw on the tree.

BUT, as soon as I have that few inches of tip movement balanced, I stay out of that area COMPLETELY,  I actually tape it off or at least mark it, and start chasing the bend out along the limb.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 02:42:40 pm »
  If you cant afford a scale, find some way to mount that bow on the wall, and get a 50 lb weight (old barbell plates, bucket of rocks, big chunk of log, whatever) and once you get the bow to low brace height, hang the weight on the string, step back, look, and mark where you need to make changes.  Don't let it sit too long, bu this will ensure it never gets pulled past final draw weight, which helps ALOT to reduce set.

You can rig it so that when the bucket touches the floor, you better be done.l