Author Topic: layout question: knot or twist?  (Read 3188 times)

Offline jeffp51

layout question: knot or twist?
« on: March 10, 2015, 01:15:16 am »
How would you lay out this stave?  If I start all the way at one end, I would place the knot pictured in the final 10 inches of one limb--but have to deal with the reflex and 45+ degrees of twist at the end.

On the other hand, if I cut the stave below the reflex, I have a relatively straight stave with a knot about 10 inches from the handle section.

On the other other hand, I could cut off the final 6 inches or so, use the natural reflex as the recurve in one limb and bend the other to match, and have a knot right about mid-limb, and an the need to remove some twist.

The wood is elm, by the way.  Please share your opinions.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: layout question: knot or twist?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 06:49:34 am »
Don't know the length, but leave it long and heat straighten.  That knot 10 inches from the tip is less of a concern than 10 inches from the handle.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 07:20:52 pm »
  I cut that stwist off the knots not a problem.

Unless you have a problem makeing shorted bows.
  That stwist will come out in elm. Use dry heat. But go slowwwwwwww bending and tillering so you won't get checks.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 08:42:29 pm »
If you cut off the twist how long will the stave be? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 08:44:21 pm »
Now I have two opposing opinions--both of which I have thought at one time or another.    Anyone else care to chime in? If I cut off the twist, I can still get 70 inches if I wanted.  I was aiming for about 66-68 with a stiff handle.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 10:15:31 pm »
No one right answer. If it were me, I would want the knot where it would be under the least stress and less likely to cause problems. Closer to the tip will do that. 70 inches is a lot to work with, so cutting the twist off is an option, but you just need to consider where it places the knot if you do so. Every move is a trade off in some way.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 10:45:55 pm »
Can't tell for sure but it looks like you have a knot on the edge near the twist. I would be worried about a knot on the edge than the middle. Like I Said I Could Be Seeing it Wrong though.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 11:59:09 pm »
There is a knot there too, but between thinning and narrowing, I am pretty sure that one will be gone before I am done.  For what it is worth, I have 58 inches shy of the big knot--I could also do a short bendy handle bow and avoid the knot altogether--but I would have to deal with the twist and bend.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 09:04:24 am »
As long as you leave the area around the knot a little wider the knot shouldn't be a issue. Imo  I'm still a newb  but that's my take on it
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 01:27:43 am »
George, what do you think?  I have gone back and forth several times in the last couple of days.  What is the best place in a limb for a knot like this?  I am nervous because my last stave with a knot blew up in spectacular fashion.