Author Topic: How do I tell where the set is coming from  (Read 6087 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: How do I tell where the set is coming from
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 10:16:43 am »
  3 Things cause set. Same will cause string follow.
  YOUR SAVES NOT SEASON ENOUGH. OR IT'S PICKING UP RELITIVE HUMMITY. BEWTEEN THE TIMES YOU WORK IT.
  YOUR DESIGNS WRONG FOR THE WOOD. OR TYPE BOW YOUR BUILDING.
  THE TILLERINGS OFF.

I can keep osage 0 to 1/2" SETby doing a couple things. Where your at relates to the climites relitive hummity. No matter the type wood. When I get to wher I start beening the limbs. I put the bow in a hot box 20 min's. 1/2 hour. This gets rid of any relitive hummity the outer surface wood picked up. EXSPECIALLY WHITE WOODS.

To tell where the sets coming from eliminate each of the 3 steps. You so find out where your sets coming from.

But in the real world a 1 1/2 makes a good smooth,hard shooter. When I started building bows I trived to keep in to a inch. Throught the years the amounts just naturallys gotten littler.

It's a must to use the right design to type of bow and type of wood.

Your tillering only gets better with doing it by tillering bows. There was years I could be in my shop every night.

I give you the advice I got when I started buliding bows SLOW DOWNNNNNNNNNNN WHEN IT COMES TO TILLERING.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 12:55:30 pm »
"Set happens!" :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 01:09:01 pm »
Take a picture before you start tillering. On a flat bow, if you do your tillering job right the set will occur from mid limb out where the width taper starts, it has to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 01:45:33 pm »
Here are a few pics showing what Im talking about, kind of. The pic on our countertop is hot off the caul, the pic on my shop wall is after being shot several dozen times. You can see that the first 16" looks the same and the wee bit of set that occurred happened beyond that point. Maybe this doesn't help at all.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 01:48:45 pm »
Hey Pearlie... that huge set! You should be ashamed and quit making bows immediately ;)  >:D
But seriously, that's a perfect illustration of what to expect :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 02:02:21 pm »
About 1" from mid limb to the tips is what I lost. Im sure over the next 500 shots it may give up another 1/2-3/4". Ill accept that at this length, weight and draw.