Author Topic: Cracks after steaming?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Cracks after steaming?
« on: March 10, 2015, 06:09:31 pm »
After steaming in recurves I had cracks start forming that followed the grain. I wouldn't have expected it to crack like that since its been split and chased to heartwood for about 4 years and inside for a couple weeks before bending. They weren't there immediately after bending but appeared over the next day. The only thing I can think of is that the steam soaked into the wood and dried too quickly. They are small and shallow but there are quite a few of them. I have filled them with super glue and if it holds up through tillering I'm going to wrap and super glue the wraps. Think the bow will hold up? Or am I likely to have it blow.

Kyle

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Cracks after steaming?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 06:42:35 pm »
  GREEN WOOD,STEAM
  SEASONED WOOD, DRY HEAT

You can do it if you really go slow but don't over heat.
 You steamed the seasoned wood. The cracks started because of over heated the moisted had to go some where and it did were you over heated,steamed.

Heres the only way I build selfbow recurves. MY WAY TAKES A FEW YEARS.
 At one time I was into RECURVES. Probley built 10 osage recurves.
 When the stave is green I ruff it down to bow fourm. I steam been the curevs past where I need. TIE THE CUVES DOWN LET SEASON A FEW YEARS.

After it's seasoned I'll pick it up one day when the timeing right. I build it onto more bow fourm. And dry heat the limbs if needed,tiller as needed.

I have 2 friends that use to made some SWEETTTTTTTTTTT BOW'S. Each killed elk bulls with there bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING