Author Topic: dap plasic wood or other epoxy for handle splices ? dollar store epoxy ?  (Read 13817 times)

Offline willie

Re: dap plasic wood or other epoxy for handle splices ? dollar store epoxy ?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 03:57:29 pm »
  I get the frustration when I ask about a certain glue or bring it up, and just get told to use smooth on or unibond.

I think that as bowyers, we use what works (until it doesn't work), and a lot of "recommendations" are just what has worked best for that particular bowyer, so far. Good gluing is as much about proper prep and application as it is about the specific type of product.

that being said, most industrial applications involving highly strained wood have moved to epoxy formulations

Offline gfugal

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2018, 04:05:31 pm »
The problem with Dap is the temperature requirements.  Not so bad if the temp never goes below 70F where you live but up North here it is a problem

Mark, are you talking about the temp requirements while it is curing?
what about once it is dry?

I have actually heard that before about weldwood: that it might fail if a bow is used in below freezing temperatures. If true, why is that?

Needless to say, that's why I've steered clear of it for the time being until I get an assurance that it won't brittle up in the cold. But I'm all for trying new glues. I've used System Threes T88 with success.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline rudamchu

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2018, 04:24:22 pm »
So, has anyone here experienced an actual bow failing due to using Dap, whether from cold Temps or other issues?

Offline willie

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2018, 04:31:58 pm »
well we were hoping the guy that said something about cold/failures might weigh in again, as he has quite a bit of experience.

I guess one thing that makes analysis of glue failure difficult is the uncertainty of the autopsy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2018, 04:49:55 pm »
I just had a wide splinter pop along the edge of a hickory backed lemonwood I use Weldwood Plastic Resin. I initially thought the the hickory was bad but it looked more like a dry glue joint, but only in a 1/4"x 6" strip along the edge. There were no clamps where it failed so I'm guessing the surface of the lemonwood was contaminates. The glue stuck well everywhere else and stuck well to the hickory at that area.
I used tire inner tube wrap for clamp with 2 "C" clamps at the handle and one on each tip.
 I've had very good luck with Weldwood Plastic Resin over about a 15 year period.
gfugal, I think Marc was referring to the curing temp. At 70 deg it takes 18 to 20 hrs to cure. Probably forever at cooler temps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 09:38:51 am »
Suprised that im not seeing the letters and numbers EA-40 come up on this thread more.  I keep saying im gonna build a laminate but my hearts not in it like self bows.  Got a piece of IPE and Boo ready to go.  Also not sure if i should use c-clamps, spring clamps, of one of these tire tube or rubber band methods.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 09:57:52 am »
I've used DAP for glueing lambs with no problem. as for it breaking in freezing weather, I learned a long time ago to get epoxy to release or turn brittle to just freeze it. I've taken horn nocks and handles off real easy just freezing them with nitrogen.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2018, 10:07:13 am »
Suprised that im not seeing the letters and numbers EA-40 come up on this thread more.  I keep saying im gonna build a laminate but my hearts not in it like self bows.  Got a piece of IPE and Boo ready to go.  Also not sure if i should use c-clamps, spring clamps, of one of these tire tube or rubber band methods.

Smooth-On is the industry standard for laminated glass bows but the bother of needing a hot box to get the best out of it tends to make people look for other choices.

Plus there actually are epoxies that are better all around and don't require heat for best results.

Offline Badger

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 10:13:24 am »

I have been using TB3 on bo/ipe for years. I was recently reading up on glue strengths and it shows the cheap TB1 yellow glue as being recommended for ipe. I have used it now on 3 100#+ longbows with no issues.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 11:28:32 am »
I never had a bow glued up with any of the TB glues come apart and I've used them on osage, hickory, ipe, yew, locust bellies and hickory and bamboo backs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 12:22:19 pm »
I use TB3 for lams, never had a issue the stuff is incredible in water resistance. I cut rock in my rock saw, generally cut the rock flat on one side, then glue a piece of 2x4 to it as it makes for easy clamping. The glue line is exposed to mineral oil for hours, until I get the last cut. The last cut that is glued to the board I throw in a bucket of water to try to get it to release the stone from the board, it won't give. I have to chisel the last piece off, to me that's plenty strong.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2018, 12:29:39 pm »
I've never heard of a glue failing in cold weather after it is set up.  I was talking about the temperature requirements the manufacturer says the glue needs to set up properly, like a minimum of 70 degrees. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com