Author Topic: Flickers  (Read 2364 times)

Offline DC

Flickers
« on: March 07, 2015, 06:15:45 pm »
Last couple of days the flickers have been hammering on the metal chimney covers. Makes a heck of a racket in the house. I love it because it means spring is here (pretty much) My wife hates it because it's noise ;D

Offline bow101

Re: Flickers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 07:04:53 pm »
The digital Thermometer downtown read 19 celcius @ 3pm.   This is unheard of.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 07:08:06 pm »
Mines 18c(64f) but that might be be because of the farmer next door burning his winter limb falls. >:D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 08:53:08 pm »
I've got a Redheaded Sap Sucker that beats on my chimney every year about this time around eight o'clock. It hasn't happened yet, so I hope nothing happened to the little booger. Been doing it or it's relatives for close to fifteen years.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 08:56:03 pm »
The peckers have been here all winter pecking at my siding. Drives the cat crazy. I had to chase off some European starlings that had taken up residence. Sealed them out, and they are mad!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:10:19 pm »
When I was a kid, many moons ago like 48 years in the time. There was a one legged crow in the neighborhood, we named him Charlie.  The crow would approach us with in a few feet and we fed him bread crumbs or whatever table scraps were for the day.  This went on for 'bout 2-3 months, then one day someone found him dead on the edge of the bush. It was obvious he was killed, maimed for no reason....he rarely squawked.  RIP Charlie. :(

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 09:16:26 pm »
One spring I was working Battle Creek for some brookies and I heard BBBRRRRRRAAANGGGG!  It would repeat every 45 seconds and I thought someone had a air tool and was working some hard sheet metal.  Eventually I worked my way up the creek a couple hundred yards to where it crossed under the road.  Perched on the wooden post on the bridge abutment barrier was a downy woodpecker hammering his brains out on the steel guardrail!!!

Every woodpecker species has a different cadence for their hammering.  It is used as a territorial call, the louder and more often they hammer out their battle cry, the more dominant they are.  This guy had figured out how to amplify his message!  Apparently, he had studied psychological warfare!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 10:38:29 pm »
Must be why the little booger bangs hell out of my Metal chimney.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 07:11:43 am »
Got a pecker here that likes to hammer in stero, via my satellite dish!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 09:46:28 am »
Not a woodpecker, but yesterday in the bush I found a chorus frog mating pond. They were deafening loud, and hundreds of them. 19 celcius..... insanity. The treefrogs last night were soothing...

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 10:07:01 am »
  That remark about frogs happen to me once. Me and a friend was scoutting in HARDY CO.

I had 30,000 acers  we leasted. We were high up on the mountian. It was end FEB. we heard this really weird racket a mile down the hollow. At first I though it was some jakes had got together and were fighting.

But after 1/2 hour I knew it was'nt that. Wer walked dfown and it was a small pond ,must have had 20,000 frogs on it. The sound was defting. I've never exsperanced forgs like that before.

I'm not attacted by wood peckers. But I feed dozzens of them all winter.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 01:21:49 pm »
Not a woodpecker, but yesterday in the bush I found a chorus frog mating pond. They were deafening loud, and hundreds of them. 19 celcius..... insanity. The treefrogs last night were soothing...
No frog choruses up here yet, maybe next week :-\

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 06:55:51 pm »
I heard frogs about 3 weeks ago, but then again it got clear and got down to -3 at nite.  It fooled them