Author Topic: ?????? # Depending on Brace Height  (Read 5728 times)

Offline bow101

?????? # Depending on Brace Height
« on: March 06, 2015, 11:44:25 pm »
How can Brace Height determine the final outcome of weight at full draw....?  I always see this mentioned in E-Bay ads and classifieds.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Weylin

Re: ?????? # Depending on Brace Height
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 12:08:16 am »
I don't see how it can. Bracing a bow is essentially just pre-drawing it to a certain point so you can put an arrow on the string.

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 02:59:20 am »
Nope - that's codswallop  ;D

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 04:23:55 pm »
Nope - that's codswallop  ;D

Yep thats what I say... although these guys are not bowyers , simply mis-informed amateur archers.   >:D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 05:35:38 pm »
if you brace the bow at different heights, it will have different draw weight, try it and see :) and here is the counter intuitive part, the lower brace will have a lower draw weight but shoot harder for that bow,,

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 05:51:12 pm »
If you have a higher brace height you have a shorter string. If you have a shorter string and your draw length stays the same wouldn't you be pulling the bow a little farther. Just thinking out loud. Your actual power stroke would be shorter, I think ???

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 05:59:27 pm »
I would think the #age change from adjusting brace height would be quite minute, unless they are ridiculous brace adjustments, like 2" brace to an 8" brace.  Lower brace shoots harder because of the longer power stroke. Higher brace would going up in weight a little bit because you are shortening the string  causing a string angle closer 90degrees at FD, causing the bow to stack ever so slightly more than the lower brace height.  At least, that's how it works in my head.  I could be way off.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 06:19:10 pm »
The older I get the more that kind of stuff screws with my head. More than one thing happening at once is really tough on my depleted brain cells. I wasn't called a dope for nothing.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 06:32:46 pm »
I just tried it. Before the bow was 33# @ 27". I raised the brace height by an inch and it was 33+# @ 27". Maybe a few ounces more if that. I'm not really confident with my scale, it's close but? Let's say there is a theoretical gain ;) ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 06:40:58 pm »
I just tried it. Before the bow was 33# @ 27". I raised the brace height by an inch and it was 33+# @ 27". Maybe a few ounces more if that. I'm not really confident with my scale, it's close but? Let's say there is a theoretical gain ;) ;)
There may be a very small gain in poundage, but it is more than offset by a shorter power stroke.
I remember as a kid trying to make bows to shoot further by cranking up the brace height... didn't work then, doesn't work now.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »
if probably really depends on the design of the bow as to how much difference it might make,, but if you are shooting through a chrono,, you will see the difference in cast your brace can make,, and a good scale will show you the difference in poundage even if small,, there are some examples in the Bowyers Bible,, I cant remember which one,, I think volume one,, and the difference is a couple of pounds, but the cast is better even at the lower draw weight,,

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 06:58:49 pm »
Some of these guys are saying an increase of 5+ # I can see the cast been different, but in my mind a 28" draw is 28"...  Good point brought up about a shorter string, I guess that can change the dynamics. I also heard that a lower brace height affects performance.   ???  Anyway I'm glad I brought this up.  Another good point is a lower brace height would put less stress on the limbs.  This is getting a little wierd and confusing... :) 

At the end of the day I like to have the lowest brace height possible making it a smooth draw and having less stress, and easier to brace.  5 1/2"  seems to work for me.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 07:04:44 pm »
My feathers are 5", add an inch for fingers, that's 6' to the belly of the handle. I should try 4" fletching. But the long fletching looks so cool :P :P

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 07:07:27 pm »
I'm using 4" fletching just makes it easier with a lower brace height I figure.  Maybe I should up the length like 4 1/2 it might help with my arrow flight.  I don't know what the diff is. ::)

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 08:58:46 pm »
What exactly are they saying?