Author Topic: Any suggestions to save this bow?  (Read 10885 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Re: Any suggestions to save this bow?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 10:10:13 am »
Thanks, guys. Perhaps I will patch it up and gift it to my neighbor because he likes bows. He also likes to let his dog stray onto our lawn to poop. (Just joshing, of course.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:16:18 am by CrazyHorse1969 »
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 10:14:34 am »
I feel your pain CrazyHorse, just went thru the same thing yesterday. Had this one bending out to 22' and all looked good, then I heard the dreaded tick. It was a raised knot that was slightly punky and had likely been ever so slightly violated on the back while chasing a ring. I filled the small crack with super glue and then wrapped some thin rawhide around the area all the time knowing what was gonna happen next. ;D
That was a couple days ago and then yesterday I put it on the tillering tree, grabbed the rope and got back 12' and exercised it out to 22" again. When I hit 23" the explosion made me duck, found the tip 10 minutes later after an extensive search.
Quite a few hours taking this one from log to broken bow. :(

That just sucks! It looks like you had way more time into that bow than I had into mine. Thanks for posting. And, sorry for your loss.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 01:30:13 pm »
That's too bad Greg, that thing wa shook nice. 

Offline Gordon

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 03:03:05 am »
If you're not breakin', you're not makin'
Gordon

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 05:50:44 pm »
as Jawge suggested,, a sinew patch would be my call,, when I have a knot on the edge like that I am nervous and try to lay my bow out so it is not on the edge,, but if that is the only way,, I would put rawhide or sinew on it before I started to tiller( and leave that part a bit stiffer),, ,, rawhide might hold as well, but I think the sinew is a bit stronger,,,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 08:16:30 pm »
Yep, like Jawge said. Sinew wrap and then back it with rawhde.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 02:45:24 pm »
Yep, like Jawge said. Sinew wrap and then back it with rawhde.

Thanks, guys. Just for the sake of practice, perhaps I will glue some sinew around the limb then patch it with rawhide. I know where to get sinew, but I do not know where to get an affordable piece of rawhide, other than two whole strips of rawhide backing for a whole bow. Any suggestions?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 02:48:35 pm »
I don't think wrapping will do much at all if you decide to rawhide it. The rawhide alone will hold it IMO. Do the entire limbs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 02:52:11 pm »
Got it. Again, just for the sake of practice, perhaps I will give it a try. Anyone ever try a large, moistened, untied rawhide dog bone before? :P

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 02:53:43 pm »
Ill give you another stave if you properly rawhide this bow and it blows up before you get 2000 shots.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 02:59:49 pm »
Are you serious? That sounds like a reasonable proposition. Can I count by twos (or, better yet, fives)? :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 03:01:58 pm »
Yup, Im serious.

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 03:04:14 pm »
ok... that is a cool way of backing up your expert advise...

i see why they call you the "cool chris"
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 03:07:09 pm »
Yup, Im serious.

Cool. Sounds like a win-win (unless I lose an eye or two). I will look into getting some rawhide backing and see how it goes.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 03:08:09 pm »
No eye loss man. Its all good. When you get rawhide and TB3 around, let me know and Ill explain my way of applying it.