Author Topic: Projectile Points  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Buck67

Projectile Points
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:39:27 am »
My Grandfather collected these points.  He died in 1948 so if they are copies they are really old ones.  I have often seen flint projectile points called arrowheads.  It occurred to me that in all the data that I have seen on flint tips I had never seen anyone weigh them.  As you can see, if these flint tips were used on an arrow, they would have taken a big heavy bow and a stout shaft to send them downrange.  Flint Projectile points were used on spears and atlatl darts, up until the introduction of the bow, sometime around 500 AD in the Americas (date open to wide discussion).  After the introduction of the bow, the flint tips get a lot smaller.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Projectile Points
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 01:57:34 pm »
I think most folks use "arrow head" as a generic term for most knapped points where most are too big for arrows. Most are probably either atlatl heads, spear points or knife blades.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 09:18:46 pm »
Hey Buck, here is a picture from a dig in Northern Ohio (I think) anyway they found the impression of shafting with these so it's pretty sure they are actual arrow heads, they aint big. Anyway thought it might give you an idea of some that are known to be from arrows.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:25:23 pm »
here is another pic (woodland arrows) but I cant remember where I got it from, anyway here it is

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 02:49:37 pm »
  STONES heads for arrows are light.

I rap wire behind The head to get the weight I need to make my arrow fly straight.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING