Author Topic: New bow from a newbie  (Read 20256 times)

Offline iangriffin

Re: New bow from a newbie
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2015, 03:28:32 pm »
PatM - I've gone through all your posts on this topic Can't find it. Are you saying I should think about fitting Syahs (spelt it wrong). I thought static  help with extra leverage, but did not give as much as active bow tips. Whippy tips. Have I got it all mixed up again.

Blaflair2 - I've tried on other bows to dry glue some reflex in the tips, all my attempts failed. The curves went as hard as steel and then the bamboo backing snapped in the middle of the handle. So I built a steamer. Tried to steam bend the tips in a former I made. I put the whole stave in the steam for 30 mins at 85C. I didn't have enough holes in the box. The bow warped. Steam was coming out of the box under pressure. I got minor scalding on my shins and arms. Anyway, the bendier handle. Do you mean flow it smoother and longer into the limbs. Do you think I could make the handle out of ash?

Offline PatM

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2015, 03:32:45 pm »
There is a big picture a few posts back.
 Static versus working comes down to which one is easier to achieve.

Offline iangriffin

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2015, 04:10:29 pm »
PatM - Seen it. I've planned on extra core tapering. So unless you reckon I'm on a sticky wicket again, I'm going ahead with what I've planned. You didn't mention the lam layout. Any probs there?

Offline PatM

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2015, 08:38:44 pm »
 I never work with more than two laminations plus sinew so I can't comment on that.