Author Topic: native american bow tiller  (Read 20109 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: native american bow tiller
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 02:46:46 pm »
Its too bad so much of this is lost and unrecorded.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline half eye

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 02:58:17 pm »
Take a look at the Moorehouse photograph (2 men by the river) the man called ye-ye has his bow nearly full draw and still tucked up to his body. It looks like it will be circle at full draw. I will resize the other photo from this set and you can see that the other mans bow is stiff tipped and slightly more bendy mid bow.  I have no comment on any of these they are just parts of my investigations into trying to replicate the NA bows....or rather the thought processes behind them.
rich

Offline adb

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2015, 03:03:45 pm »
Pat is spot on... tiller follows design. Proper final tiller is determined by chosen design. They are intimately connected. Bad tiller is bad tiller, whether you meant to do it or not. All of these ideas are really well discussed in the design and performance chapters of TBB Vols 1&4. I encourage anyone interested to review them.

From what I can see from the pictures, a lot of those bows look very stiff in the handle, and whippy ended if anything to me Rich.

Offline half eye

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2015, 03:05:29 pm »
here is the other photo. It is clear that the two bows are not the same tiller. One is noticably longer than the other as well.
rich

Offline adb

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2015, 03:07:59 pm »
...and the shorter one definitely looks stiff handled to me.

Offline willie

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2015, 03:47:13 pm »
thanks for posting the photos, Rich.
 I am taking another look at the few bows (with thickness given) in the Steve Alley encyclopedia, NA Bows Arrows and Quivers, volume 1.
Looking forward to seeing some of your replicas.

Offline half eye

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 04:01:11 pm »
Hey willie,
      I'll see about posting. I also have a whole bunch of museum photos of Eastern Woodland bows and not just the north east either. I'll PM you
rich

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2015, 04:20:19 pm »
Hey willie,
      I'll see about posting. I also have a whole bunch of museum photos of Eastern Woodland bows and not just the north east either. I'll PM you
rich

I'd like to see those pics to Rich, this is the type of bow I'm doing my best to emulate and your posted works on this forum seem to be the closest I've seen to that style. 
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline half eye

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 05:19:11 pm »
here are some of mine. I cant find braced shots for all of these but did for some.

One reason for a circular tiller instead of whip tillered is that I have to draw more than they did. I can not shoot pinch grip and 20-21 inches of draw. So for a 48" bow (46" inch string) drawing 24 to 25 inches ( my draw length ) you better have it all working 8)

so here's some pics for you. By the way I have tillered them stiff center, stiff tipped, and circular. As I have stated many times before.....In my experience thwe circular tiller produces the best performing bows of the 3 types I tried.
rich

PS: the first one (37" recurve) is based on a bow recovered in Mt. Clemens Mi. but not attributed. the artifact also had very pronounced "hooks" and mine does not. I'll put that bow up at the end.

Offline half eye

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 05:20:27 pm »
more

Offline half eye

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 05:21:51 pm »
more

Offline willie

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 05:53:56 pm »
Rich-
thanks for posting your bows at full draw. Keeping the bend constant certainly seems like the way to get the most out of such short bows. How heavy are the arrows you prefer to use with the circular tiller? gpp?
After looking back at the encyclopedia, I find only about a half a dozen bows with thickness illustrated. Three definitely seem like the bows would bend more in the handle , while three others have thickened handles, and by presumption, may have been stiffer in the center of the bow. A few others had somewhat thick mid-limbs, but thinner tips probably yielding highly elliptical or possibly whipped tillers. In all, though, more measurements of thickness when illustrating historical bows would be helpful.

willie
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:58:52 pm by willie »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 06:31:04 pm »
Rich that black scalloped bow with the red tips looks sort of familiar.  That first one is really working overtime! 
Willie, I know that you didn't ask for it, but I have a few eastern woodland style bow pics with braced and f/d shots.  They aren't halfeye quality but not bad considering the guy that made em.  The first is my latest hunting bow.  The next is a Seneca replica.  On these style I try to get as circular tiller as possible.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2015, 06:38:28 pm »
Very seldom do I deviate from that tiller on this style of bow.  Now if I sinew back it I will make the tiller just a smidge flatter in the mid section (elliptical tiller).  That seems to squeak a little more performance from the sinew than the circular tiller.  In my experience anyway.  Josh

Offline half eye

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2015, 07:01:09 pm »
they sure are not halfeye quality....they a lot better. I seen your bows bud.
rich