Author Topic: Tru-Oil without a glossy finish???  (Read 4854 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Tru-Oil without a glossy finish???
« on: February 28, 2015, 06:34:43 pm »
What are the steps to finishing a hunting bow (in this case Black Locust) with Tru-Oil without ending up with a glossy finish? I normally use several coats of Tru-Oil then finish with Johnson Past Wax, but I end up with a glossy finish.

Or, I am open to other finishing suggestions, particularly ones that have less to with aesthetics and more to do with treating/hardening the wood for the long haul.

Thanks.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Tru-Oil without a glossy finish???
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:51:58 pm »
You can put a coat of spray satin poly on the bow after Tru oil.  It cuts down on the shine.  My hunting bow was finished with several coats of spray poly and a coat of TB3.  It's been a good no gloss finish that repels water. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 06:59:31 pm »
You could always just buff the Tru oil with like a pumice stone powder to get a dull finish

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 07:12:09 pm »
You can put a coat of spray satin poly on the bow after Tru oil.  It cuts down on the shine.  My hunting bow was finished with several coats of spray poly and a coat of TB3.  It's been a good no gloss finish that repels water.

So skip the Paste Wax? Or, use the spray satin poly after the Tru-Oil then the Paste Wax after the spray satin poly? Thanks.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 07:17:28 pm »
I didn't use any paste wax
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:18:30 pm »
I demonstrate a way to create a stain finish with tru-oil in the following build-a-long, page 13

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3895.180.html
Gordon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 07:20:05 pm »
Its easier to just use the satin rattle can right from start. Not that spraying over tru oil is a problem. But Tru Oil is meant to highlight grain and such, when you dull it down that's gone. May as well just spray on 3-4 coats and be done wittit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 08:46:41 pm »
I demonstrate a way to create a stain finish with tru-oil in the following build-a-long, page 13

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3895.180.html

Thanks. I will take a look.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 08:50:59 pm »
Its easier to just use the satin rattle can right from start. Not that spraying over tru oil is a problem. But Tru Oil is meant to highlight grain and such, when you dull it down that's gone. May as well just spray on 3-4 coats and be done wittit.

Got it. Thanks, Pearl Drums. What is your preferred method?

By the way, I put the Osage bow I made from the stave I picked up from you to the test last deer season. I did not get a shot at a deer, but I put a lot of hunting time in, which was, of course, the whole point.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 09:31:34 pm »
150 grit - 220 grit - 0000 steel wool, hold it up to the light to check for any tool marks and then 3-4 coats. One every 2 hours. Its dry in 8-10 hours. I highly suggest Helmsman clear satin in the green colored can. If you want a real cool look, add a fifth quick, light coat from about 12-14" away, it looks frosted.

Glad you enjoyed the stave/bow, and got out with it. Keep at it and you will watch an arrow slide through a rib cage!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 09:48:15 pm »
150 grit - 220 grit - 0000 steel wool, hold it up to the light to check for any tool marks and then 3-4 coats. One every 2 hours. Its dry in 8-10 hours. I highly suggest Helmsman clear satin in the green colored can. If you want a real cool look, add a fifth quick, light coat from about 12-14" away, it looks frosted.

Glad you enjoyed the stave/bow, and got out with it. Keep at it and you will watch an arrow slide through a rib cage!

So, to be clear, sand as mentioned, then 3-4 coats Tru-Oil as mentioned, then Helmsman clear satin as mentioned...

I did shoot a rabbit with the bow! I ate it in a stew with sweet potatoes.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 09:51:51 pm »
Check out my post on this thread. Plus there is several ways to finish up a bow in this post. Patrick

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50644.0.html
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 09:54:12 pm »
Will do. Thanks.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 11:10:14 pm »

I misread what you were saying below! Now I get it. Just use the Helmsman Spar Urethane, Satin Finish.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 11:53:54 pm »
I don't care for the high gloss look either. I started using Gordons method since I first his build along a couple years ago, makes a nice looking satin finish.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.