Author Topic: issues with elm  (Read 1971 times)

Offline jeffp51

issues with elm
« on: February 28, 2015, 10:20:18 am »
My acquisition of staves has been rather arbitrary. I have some staves of what I think is siberian elm.  This will be my 5th different bow wood.  This stave has a small bit of bug damage about 9 inches from one end. I can't really get around it with a layout adjustment.  I have two qestions:

1. The rings look pretty thick--and I think if I went down a ring, I could get under this.   Has anyone ever chased a ring on this wood before?
2. As I have reduced these staves, the sapwood feels better under the drawknife than the heartwood.  It would probably look pretty nice with some of both on the bow, but chasing a ring will mean using more heartwood.  Should I avoid this?

Thanks
Jeff

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: issues with elm
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 10:46:23 am »
Just my opinion as I have only made a few elm bows and none with heartwood in them...I'd fill the blemish with super glue and go with it however having some heartwood on the belly probably wouldn't be a bad thing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:58:32 am »
Thanks Pat. I was also thinking about a small sinew patch. I wish I could put this in and unbending tip--the wood has a natural recurve right there that wold be nearly perfect--but there isn't enough wood on the other end, so I will end up heating that one out and adding another recurve further on.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 11:03:46 am »
Heat the wood up slightly before adding the glue, not hot, just warm. That should help the glue sink in.  I don't think a sinew patch will help that much. Elm is pretty tough stuff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:19:55 am »
You can chase a ring on it.  The heartwood won't hurt anything.  I've made a few all heartwood  bows from belly splits.  No sapwood at all.  Josh

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 01:27:58 pm »
Difficult to chase a ring on it, but i've done it on hackberry which is very similar.  If you can chase it, i say DO IT!!  i would love to see the result with the heart wood mixed in there...beautiful!!  Mine always end up with no heartwood, except maybe some in the grip.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 01:40:08 pm »
I got an all heartwood rawhide back elm from pearly boy that's a sweet shooter