Author Topic: Chain mail shirt  (Read 6849 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Chain mail shirt
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 11:27:32 pm »
That is very impressive work Cody.  Are you going to wear that on your trip?  I'm sure it would prevent road rash and I bet nobody would mess with you. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 11:35:01 pm »
     Dang!  That is amazing! :o  Are the joints, just closed together, or did you solder them?  Ok, now you have to do a build along! ;D  So did you have a body form, like a sewing form to use?  What did you use to form your rings on?  So now you have to make the heavy under garments! :P  The thick wool, jerkin, the heavy boiled and waxed leather vest.  Then you are going to have to get K. Halverson to make you a broad sword, a fighting dagger, and buckler, maybe even a full sized shield, and then you need to start making the chain mail leggings, and have K. Halverson make you some metal boot coverings, and shin guards ........  6 years? :o  You better get busy! ;D
That is great.  I always thought about doing something that.  That is a great job.  Hey, if you get snowed in, this coming winter, you can go back, and double up on the links, for even more protection!  Don't forget to put some "Frog Lube" on it. ;)  Great job!

Wayne

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 12:10:18 am »
Dang Cody thats just plain cool. It fits you perfect too. I don't know how you could have stayed with it to finish. I guess that goes to show you what desire will do to ones resolve. Amazing work.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 04:43:54 am »
Very cool, to bad you are biking to the Classic, you could bring it along/wear it and we could see if it really works. >:D >:D Love it Cody. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 04:49:13 am »
Very cool Cody - impressive! A Smithy making chain-mil, I'll be darned  O:). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 07:09:30 am »
That is really cool, good work

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 07:36:33 am »
Thanks everyone. joints are just batted together. No way I was welding or soldering each one. What do you think I am? Crazy? ::) The rings are 1/2" ID.  And no, I will absolutely NOT be doing a build along. Plenty of info online.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 09:16:54 am »
I made several of them a few years ago, two were long sleeve and mid thigh.  You did a fine job on it. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 09:35:41 am »
Taking it with you on your ride for protection buddy?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 11:51:46 am »
WOW, that is really cool
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 01:13:34 pm »
Very cool, to bad you are biking to the Classic, you could bring it along/wear it and we could see if it really works. >:D >:D Love it Cody. :)
   Pappy

If it rains at the Classic we could also see if it rusts!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 01:50:17 pm »
Are those stainless links?

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 03:42:30 pm »
That's really cool. Great job.
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 09:50:57 pm »
I have woven a little bit of chain mail and I understand why it took you so long!  I have done some 4/1 chain and a little bit of 6/1.  I have never tried 8/1, I surrendered and wore out the white flag with the six in one links! That's a whole heck of a lot of work!!! 

I had a 6" square of the 4/1 links and tried shooting thru it with an arrow.  I pinned it to a bag type archery target and stood off 20 yards.  After shooting, I picked up my arrows and shot them again at 10 yards so I could have half a chance to hit it. *SIGH*  First arrow went straight thru!  Nothing but a plain field point from a 50# draw bow.  Unless the links are welded, they yeild easily to arrows and blade thrusts, even though they will save you from a slashing cut. 

Any estimate to how many hundreds of hours you have in that hauberk?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DGF

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 10:21:06 pm »
Simply awesome! You are a man of many talents.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI