Author Topic: Osage Delamination  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Woodland Roamer

Osage Delamination
« on: January 26, 2008, 08:59:45 pm »
I've always had a problem with osage staves cracking down the side after they are well seasoned. I have some staves that have been cut for two years now and the cracks will run right down a growth ring like they are delaminating. Does anyone else have this problem and know if anything can be done about it? If the stave is split wide enough and the cracks dont run in deep enough I guess it wont matter because they will be trimmed off when the profile of the bow is cut out but I dont want to split staves wider than I have to since I would get fewer per log. Those osage logs are mighty rare for me to come by!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Osage Delamination
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:08:58 pm »
I've seen a couple do that. They usually have a large amount of spring growth. Might try sealing the side of your staves too, take longer to dry, but would be worth it....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 09:33:28 pm »
has the Bark and all the Sapwood been removed?? I have never had one split if prepared right before storage
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 02:20:51 pm »
Brian, you could be right about that, I'll look and see if those have a larger amount of springwood than the ones that didn't split and maybe I'll try sealing the sides too next time.

Yankee, the problem I'm having is on the sides of the staves not on the back.

Alan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 02:41:11 pm »
Alan, it could depend on how the wood was collected also. If the tree was blown over in a storm or grew in an unprotected and windy area that could cause the delamination between late growth rings.
I have an osage stave that Tom B gave me at the camp-o-rama last year. I was looking at it the other day and saw checking along the side of the stave. Until I get into it I won't know what to expect as far as how they will effect a bow. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 03:35:01 pm »
Alan, like Pat said, that sounds like wind shake.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Tom B

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 10:00:08 pm »
sorry Pat. I was hoping to see one of your beauties come from that.tom

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 01:05:23 am »
Tom, I ain't gave up yet.  There is at least one bow in that stave.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 07:11:38 am »
I have seen that if you split them to narrow when you are preparing the stave's I usuall
leave them large enough for at least a couple of bows to start with and split them down narrower after they have seasoned a while. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:23:13 am »
Yeah Pat, these were cut in Kansas hedgerows so they have a lot of wind shakes in them but I think these checks down the side are a something a little different. I think next time I'll do like Pappy and spilt them a bit wider until they have seasoned a while.

Alan

DCM

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 11:02:18 am »
I don't see it frequently, but I've seen it.  I always assumed it was related to tension between the two growth rings, as if the tree had grown straight and then fell over and continued to grow.  On the one or two I've seen, the tree way leaning considerably when I cut it.  You can get some crazy reation wood that way, but it is sometimes so crazy it's difficult to use.