Author Topic: cane/dogwood arra pics...  (Read 4942 times)

Offline michbowguy

cane/dogwood arra pics...
« on: January 25, 2008, 11:51:33 pm »
here are some arras for a friend.
tonkin cane,dogwood foreshafts,turkey 2 fletch,and selfnocks...for the range of course!

thanks for looking!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: cane/dogwood arra pics...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:30:54 am »
They look great.  I'm always stressed by the beating the sinew wrap takes if it is shot into bales.  Any suggestions?   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 01:32:16 am »
Nice arrows, Jamie. I've got to try the Cherokee 2 fletch. You did a nice job with the dogwood foreshafts. 8)
  Ron, a silk thread wrap set in super glue will hold up to the bale. When you see the thread ravel a bit, just add more super glue. Not primitive but long lasting. ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:58:37 am »
Cool range arra's - I'm sure with a point they'd be fine for huntin too. Are they pretty quick to make like that, with the two fletch - how are they for accuracy? Got me thinking about makin some up :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 05:25:42 pm »
with alot of help from my N.A. BROTHERS....aka  rwelch,and kowechobe!
my work is getting better and better.
they fly  AWESOME.
they penetrate like a sherman tank ,and probably weigh just as much!
no grain scales,no feather cutter/jigs,just made by a little knowlede and having a "feel" for the way each pc of cane,and dogwood fit.
i shot them thru paper today at local sport shop and got a tear that looked like a glider went thru!
a straight line with a little hole in the center.

all those graphs,calculators,grainscales are acurate,and will get you close...
but the proof is in the SHOOTING.
i shot one thru a 78 lb hill style longbow, a 45 lb bear recurve and one out of a 55 ln COMPOUND!

all i know is the next time i do a little demo like that i should take a couple doz. with me as i could have sold EVERY ONE I HAD TODAY.

its just that its realy hard to put a price on something that took the time to build! and i just dont like charging alot for my stuff to my friends.

jamie

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 06:01:19 pm »
Awsome! If building good arrows is "a heap much work", then how much work are making perfect arrows ??? ;D?

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 09:20:34 pm »
its not that kegan, its knowing when to stop working on one!
you might work on straightining them for a looong time, and go thru many feathers to try to pick the perfect ones...then come to find out that some of the ones that were a little out of shape,not straight and not the best wrapping,or bad looking feather....may fly the best for you!
 i say just make them, shoot them and the ones that dont shoot well, disect the problem from there! on that one arrow, put your time in the ones that dont fly good.
jamie

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 10:32:57 pm »
OK, I'm sold - I'll be making some of those ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 01:47:50 pm »
Sweet looking arrows,nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 02:54:50 pm »
Pappy, you are home early. Ya'll run out of food or something? ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC