Author Topic: string fraying at the loops  (Read 4344 times)

Offline huntersteve

string fraying at the loops
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:08:39 am »
trouble with strings fraying

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a friend of mine has a 65# longbow that he asked me to make him a new string for.....I just started making my own strings about a month ago and needed the practice so I told him that I would....he gave me the original string that came with the bow when he bought it...it had broken not too long after he started shooting the bow....both loops were frayed very bad and one loop had broke....I made him another string with B-50 dacron....it's a Flemish Twist 16-strand made with 3 bundles......after shooting it about 50-100 shots it's already showing wear in the loops with 1 strand already broke....has anyone seen this happen before? any help or advice would be appreciated....Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: string fraying at the loops
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 09:16:53 am »
I would think it had to be something to do with the bow. Are there any rough edges the string contacts with?
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:22:14 am »
maybe string grooves are too narrow and/or are cut at the wrong angle for proper movement???

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:40:03 am »
I'm going to take another look at the string grooves when I can get the bow back from my friend....this is a "factory" built bow....I think it had 'Bushmaster" written on it...and ML- something on it also.....I'll take a look at it and see what I can find out....thanks for the help..Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 01:08:45 pm »
That'd be a Martin longbow.  You might need to take a chainsaw file to the nocks to knock off any sharp corners.  Go easy, just round things up a bit.  Sounds like that is what is happening, it shouldn't be doing that.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:07:46 pm »
Thanks....I'll get the bow back from my friend and take a closer look at the grooves.....Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Glenn R.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:21:30 pm »
That happened to my 75# osage lam. longbow--groove angle a little abrupt. I made a new string and reinforced outside of b-50 loops with fast-flight. So far so good.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:50:42 pm »
Another good thing to use following a round file is a burnisher to really smooth out the grooves and resulting corners.
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 12:17:12 am »
thanks for the info.....I just got the bow back....the only thing I can see are maybe the edges of the phenolic tip overlay's may be a little sharp on the edges....I think I'll buff those down a little bit...make him a new string and see how that goes....thanks again...steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 04:18:35 pm »
With patience, you can salvage the string by serving it by hand.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday