Author Topic: Holmegaard build along  (Read 108262 times)

Offline adb

Re: Holmegaard build along
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2008, 06:22:19 pm »
I've been doing some sanding. 150X grit at the moment. I've rounded off the backing edges, and smoothed up all surfaces. The back is completely flat, with slightly radiused edges. The osage belly is rounded... just slightly. It definately is not flat.

The brace height is now at 6.5". I'm going to leave the bow braced for several hours, and sweat it a bit. This helps to further teach it to bend. The weight right now is just a touch heavy. We're at 58# @ 27". No worries. With some shooting, sweating, and more finish work, she should be spot on.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:26:54 pm by adb3112 »

Offline adb

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2008, 06:26:19 pm »
If you recall, I mentioned another important aspect of brace height, in regard to Holmegaard bows. It's important to keep the string off the outer non-bending limbs. The string should only touch the limb at the nock. If the outer limbs are too thick , and the string touches them, the bow is VERY noisy. I mean TWANGGGG!!

Offline adb

« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2008, 06:30:56 pm »
There is no rest or nock point, but at this point, I like to shoot the bow a bit. I just nock an arrow so it looks just reasonably (slightly) tip down, and shoot off my fist. First 4 arrows are OK! I have a 10 yard "range" set in my basement.

The cast seems... very snappy! I'm very pleased!

Offline adb

« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2008, 06:34:28 pm »
The last few pics are a compilation of tiller progression, so you can see, a little easier, how it actually took shape.

Offline adb

« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2008, 06:50:09 pm »
I've had a PM regarding where to purchase some of the tools I've been using, especially the scraper holder and burnishing tool. If anyone else is interested, drop me a PM. 

PK

« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2008, 07:24:01 pm »
Nice Nice Nice :)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2008, 07:40:22 pm »
Great job and thanks for taking the time to do this.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ghost Dog

« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2008, 11:09:10 pm »
BEAUTY!!! :) :) :)
With a fine osage selfbow, my elkhide quiver filled with cedar arrows fletched with turkey, and with the invitation of the forest, I am about as happy as a man can be.

radius

« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2008, 03:58:51 am »
hey,  good bow!

I also live in Western Canada (Vancouver Island, actually) and I wonder:  where did you find the osage lumber?

Offline adb

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2008, 12:59:07 pm »
Hi,
I live in Saskatoon. The osage lumber? I bought it directly from a sawmill in Oklahoma. If you want their name & address, send me a PM.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 06:50:09 pm by adb3112 »

PK

« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2008, 04:58:10 am »
Can't wait to see the Rest and the Rest. True Professional you are.PK

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2008, 03:53:56 pm »
very well done sir! i never took much intrest in this style of bow before, but youve got me thinking! cant wait to see the next step...
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

radius

« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2008, 12:21:06 am »
hi, uhhh...what's a pm?

i would like the address of the mill you mentioned...what kind of prices should I expect?

and I agree with the burnt hill archer:  before I saw your posting, I never saw the attraction of a Holmegaard...but now I do!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2008, 01:46:24 pm »
Radius, A PM is a personal message...a feature of this site(and other sites) to contact other members without using personal e-mail.
adb, I love the design and your execution of it. These ancient designs are quite sophisticated.  Thanks for the time and effort you put into this thread. I will definitely reference it in the future.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2008, 10:38:47 pm »
Great build-a-long thanks for sharing ! Excellent Job !! Nice bow !!!
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin