Author Topic: ? on yew  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
? on yew
« on: January 23, 2008, 07:41:22 am »
I received a Yew stave from deerhunter37372 in the Christmas trade,first I have never worked with
yew and 2nd it is 70 inches long ,but real narrow on the top 5 or 6 inches and a check coming right down the middle about that far also.My ? is can I make a 62/64 in. flat bow out of it.I know most seem to make long bows from yew but I don't think this piece will do that.Any other words of
wisdom on working yew and design I would appreciate.It is plenty wide for about 63/64 in.
and the sap wood is still there also,I figure to leave it. :) looking for something like 50@26 is
this a OK design and wood for that ? ???
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: ? on yew
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:44:38 am »
I received a Yew stave from deerhunter37372 in the Christmas trade
Of course you did!  ;D  Private joke between Pappy and I... ;)

Pappy, Yew  ;) know I don't know anything about Yew, but I know you know how to make a good flat bow. If that's what the wood tells you to do, I'd go for it. ;)   An option might be to back it and try for a long bow if you want.

Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:17:45 am »
Pappy, I have made quite a few yew flatbows it works fine. Maing one right now as a matter of fact but it is longer, The one I am making is a little short on heartwood and a little heavy on sapwood. Feels like it is gonna work ok, got it to floor tiller yesterday. It is 73" long and I am going for about 70#, if it doesnt take any set I will cut it down a bit shorter, Steve

DCM

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:45:15 am »
I have made one yew flatbow.  I think it's ~ 1 5/8" to midlimb, 67" NTN for ~ 50# @ 28".  Probably overbuilt but shoots pretty good and [edited DOESN'T] set from work.  Might consider an overlay for the string groove, although mine has so much character it wasn't practical and haven't had any trouble with 18 strand of FF in the loops.  Be sure to save your by wood for other projects.  Makes nice contrast w/ hedge for power lams and handle build ups.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 03:39:11 pm by DCM »

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:02:54 am »
It should work pappy, just a couple tips I learned about yew. It dents really easy so make sure you pad you vise and work bench good, The dust is poisonous so don't breath in any dust while sanding (where a mask). It has the tendency to tear out bad with a draw knife, a scraper and a rasp work better for me. Also it takes more thickness to get your desired draw weight than with the hard woods your used to. It probally works a lot like ERC, they are pretty similar from my experience.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 01:16:56 pm »
Pappy,
  I actually preffer a yew flat bow to an ELB. All the long bows that I've shot had smoother draws but were slugish and had more hand shock.
  I would thin the sap to 1/4"  and shoot for a squashed oval profile on the limb. As Ryan said, it will be thicker then what you are used to with hard wood.  Chasing a ring on the sap is almost impossible, and not nessesaryas long as you don't make severe violations.
  Also if you do any heat bending be sure to give a day or two befor any working the limbs, or you will blow for sure.  Keenan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 01:19:13 pm »
Thanks guys,It was cut and split in Oct.wonder how long it needs to season before I start to rough in and floor tiller? Ryan a rasp and scraper is about all I use most of the time antway.I have worked so ERC before when I first started,the out come wasn't to good but it was nice to work with.I am looking forward to this. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

330bull

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 02:09:54 pm »
Hi Pappy,

Unless you force dry the stave, I would not touch the stave for at least one year.  Secondly, I have found that Osage is much more forgiving than yew because Osage is so much harder.  Yew is super soft and after roughing with a bandsaw I would never use anything tougher than a #50 Nicholson Rasp, then a Bowyer's Edge to remove the last 1/8" to 5/32" of material.

Having said all of that, I've only worked on 6-8 staves and I'm sure others have worked on a lot more and if they disagree please feel free to counter my advice.

I'm sure JD has a lot of advice too.

Good luck either way!

Joe

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 03:05:37 pm »
The one I am working now I am working strictly with a nicholson 49. I am working the belly rings one at a time forming little v's all the way to the tip. The heartwood is a little slim, I am down to about 1/4" heartwood now and done really want to go any thinner so I am thinking of starting on the back and taking it down. It has close to 80 rings per inch so it will likely be hard to follow a ring on. Having fun with it either way. Steve