Author Topic: Oak Mold ?????????  (Read 4193 times)

ozark caveman

Oak Mold ?????????
« on: January 23, 2008, 02:09:51 am »
It seems like my oak staves are the only one's of all my whitewood that develope this black mold looking substance that run through the veins of the earlywood. I've made a bow like this before and it broke >:( I have 3 awesome oak staves that have this problem and I don't want to burn them as firewood. So my question is, has anyone ever gone deeper into the stave's heartwood and got past this stuff or is it firewood?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Oak Mold ?????????
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:20:04 am »
You can chase a ring on oak just like osage, locust, etc. If it is well seasoned it will be a tough job though. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:13:25 am »
Ive seen that on hickory stave's and had the same thing happend, ka- blewy ! :o  :-\
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 11:12:46 pm »
Can't work spalted Wood....I know....and it hurts when they Blow!!! Don't waste your time chasing a Ring if it goes through like mine did!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:12:02 pm »
Yankee, that spalted maple is sure-nuff purty wood, though. I'd save it for tip overlays and glue-on risers. I've got a couple maple boards like that at home.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:15:18 pm »
dude it looks spaulted
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 09:04:26 pm »
any deterioration from moisture will probably break the bow. especially with a second string wood. keep staves and bows that are "in the white" (unfinished) in a stable dry place and you likely won't encounter this prob again.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 09:13:21 pm »
There that secomd string stuff again ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 09:15:58 pm »
..................Whats a second string wood ? Sorry, I coulnd't resist ! ;D...bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:43:34 pm »
Not sure bob, but if it makes meat its first string eh ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 10:21:09 pm »
Yankee, that spalted maple is sure-nuff purty wood, though. I'd save it for tip overlays and glue-on risers. I've got a couple maple boards like that at home.

It is Purdy....but weak as spagetti for Bow wood!!! I saved it....but I didnt have a clue as to why....now I have a reason for keeping it.....thanks
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 12:02:50 pm »
Am I correct in assuming that if wood is spaulted (a form of decay as I understand - but pretty, as stated) you have to stabilize it before using it (as overlays, tips, handles, etc) or at least before sanding/drilling, etc. - even though/if it may be a piece of hardwood, as you would a piece of softwood? And do you stabilize it with superglue, thinned Marine epoxy, or ???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:34:17 pm by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC