Author Topic: small berry bush  (Read 2218 times)

Offline bobbykelley

small berry bush
« on: February 23, 2015, 11:02:37 am »
Hi guys. I have this bush that has popped up around one of my trees. It's small and has lots of blue berry's on it. And from what I could see the birds like it. Anyone know what it might be? My wife wants to pull it up but if their good I don't want to. Thanks.
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: small berry bush
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:04:00 pm »
I don't recognize it but it should be easy to ID with the whorled leaves of 4 and what looks like a square stem. Is it a shrub or a vine?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 04:27:25 pm »
As to the berry bush  I cannot say -  but if the birds like em they can't be all bad.

@PatB the whorled leaves and square stem are bedstraws or cleavers (Galium species)

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:36:05 pm »
From your photo, it looks like Galium tinctorium. It is a type of bedstraw. Around here, it is commonly called cleavers. Curtis
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:44:14 pm by tipi stuff »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:11:20 pm »
I knew that would make it easy to ID.  ;D    I've never seen that plant before. Glad to know what it is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 07:39:16 pm »
You are supposed to be able to eat the young shoots. You boil the for 10 - 15 minutes. I've eaten lots of stuff out of the field, and this plant grows in my area, but I have have to confess, I've never eaten this one.  CC

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:25:11 pm »
+1 tipi stuff

Looks like cleavers/ bedstraw family to me.  Apparently makes a good coffee substitute.

Offline helmet

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 08:55:56 pm »
around here cleaver doesn't make blue berries, maybe those berries are on a different plant?

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:15:18 pm »
Helmet, I don't think all species turn as dark as this. Also, most of these have a kind of prickly fuzz on the berries. That was my reason for thinking it is tinctorium. It can have smooth dark berries. Note the arrangement of the berries too. There are two of them, attached very closely to one another. CC
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:36:26 pm by tipi stuff »

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 08:24:59 am »
Thanks guys. I told my wife that someone would know what it is. She's been wanting to put some kind of flowers up there but now maybe I'll just have to hold her off and see what this does. It looks to be spreading pretty good.
I make mistakes but I learn.