Author Topic: Harvesting Osage  (Read 4631 times)

Offline BowKids

Harvesting Osage
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:47:57 am »
Hi, new here but long time lurker. We are blessed with Osage, everywhere. The park near here looks more like an Osage forest. Even my driveway is lined with big cowapple dropping beasts. The question is can I use the vertical shoots or branches for self bows or do I have to start with a bigger stave?

Offline Badger

Re: Harvesting Osage
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 12:16:01 pm »
Those are primo! I would use them, they look great. Steve

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:37:24 pm »
Like Steve said, They make excellent bows. There seems to be a lot of reaction when split so I would clamp the splits to a form to dry.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:31:34 pm »
Man I wish I had your problems ;) ;D

Welcome to PA.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 01:58:29 pm »
Suckers like that make some really good bow wood, as they tend to grow straight and with few branches as opposed to a free-standing sapling that needs more branches feeding it.

2" is bordering on a minimum for decent wood though, since you'll probably have close to an inch of sapwood leaving only an inch of heartwood and the very interior of any wood is usually kind of punky.  Maybe there'll be less sapwood on those, I don't know.  If you could find one that is closer to 4" diameter you'd really be in business.  As it is, I've heard of people leaving some sapwood on the back of their bow to have enough wood, in that case you simply want to seal the sapwood back really well since it has a great tendency to check.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 02:25:27 pm »
Years ago in PA there was an article by Dane Snodgrass about a guy named Sonny Iman(sp), called "The Limbow". Sonny's limbows are works of art and are very good shooting bows. He preferred sucker growth of around 2" in diameter. He would split the sucker down the middle and add a handle riser. The bows I saw were about 60" in length. All he would do is remove the bark like with whitewood. I got to meet Sonny at the Friendship Shoot in Southern Indiana and see a few of his bows and Herb Reynolds(pres of CTA), a long time friend of Sonny, has 2 of Sonny's bows that he hunted with. Sonny passed away just this past year.
   Last year I built a sucker bow but removed some of the sapwood. There is still 3 layers of sapwood on the back. When I split the sucker, both pieces took about 6" or more of reflex. I removed some of the reflex before I made the bow for ease of tillering. I sent the other piece to Kenneth(Little John) in Colorado but he had some problems and was not successful with the stave. You might be able to do a search for my "Pole Bow" as I called it.
   I have made a few osage bows with sapwood as their backs. The bow I sent KOAN for the Christmas trade is about 50/50 sap/heart wood, 60" long and shoots quite well. As long as you handle the sapwood properly is works fine. Sapwood isn't as tough as heartwood but with osage, it is tougher than lots of other heartwoods and most white woods.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

john

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 10:51:06 pm »
hi bowkids im new to pa also no osage in my area that i know about wondering if we could work out some kind of deal to send me acouple of those staves thanks john

Offline BowKids

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:48:34 pm »
Sure, send me a PM. Most clean ones I've seen are 2". I have a friend that does massive live tree removal. You could say he chases wind and ice storms for the most part. I told him the other day about what to look for. He sees it all, Osage, Hickory, Black Oak, Locust, Cedar and many other Oaks of course.

john

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 12:35:18 am »
hi bowkids sent you a pm let me know if you got it not sure if i did it right thanks john

john

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 12:37:51 am »
bowkids i sent you a pm not sure if i did it right please let me know if you got it thanks john