Author Topic: Preparation for sinew backing  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Newbreedarcher

Preparation for sinew backing
« on: February 15, 2015, 11:57:02 am »
So, I had read an article a ways back that had talked about using hardwood ash-paste to scrub the back of osage down before sinew is applied. Has anyone had success with this? If so, can you am describe the process? It's been a while and I can't remember where i had seen the article. Thanks!

Nick

Offline JonW

Re: Preparation for sinew backing
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 01:54:44 pm »
I've never done it but it would be the same as Lye or oven cleaner. I know some guys do that.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 02:54:13 pm »
scrub with ash and water,, wash with soap and rinse with boiling water,,three times

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 03:03:52 pm »
I prep the back of a bow to be sinewed with a good scrub with Dawn dish soap and rinse it with boiling water. Works great, less messy!   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Markus

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:35:24 pm »
Pat do you let the bow dry before sinewing? ( Have never worked Osage) Markus

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 05:47:53 pm »
it does not take long for the bow to dry,,, so it would be dry when you start,,, size the bow with glue and let that dry a bit

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 05:49:26 pm »
Have a pot of warm water handy. It is a mess. My fingers were pruny an white for a few hours last night after my one ounce.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 08:08:33 pm »
I usually get the first coat of hide glue within a few minutes. I think that the wet(not dripping) wood allows the glue to penetrate better. Dry wood sometimes repels water for a while. This way I'm assured clean wood and good wood/glue adhesion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:17:26 pm »
I applied the sinew to my osage bow. It has very little crown, none really. I keep having a problem with the sinew curling from the edges. I have rapped the bow with linen sheets heated it till it seeps from the threads. Wrapped with inner tube and done the same to the point the sinew blends with the bow so good you can't really tell where the sinew ends and the bow starts. I have rehydrated the edges and reapplied glue. It keeps curling at the edges. I prepared the bow by washing with dawn and rinsing with boiling water. I also scored the back with a hacksaw blade. Could this be because it's drying too fast? Do I just suck at this?? Haha, I can't seem to find anyone else that has this issue.😞

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 03:44:38 pm »
i am not sure what you mean curling at the edges,, but if you get the glue to hot,, it will make the sinew curl,,

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 03:48:21 pm »
It's drying on the edges and pulling away from the back of the bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 04:49:03 pm »
If the back was oaky before sinew, then just scrape that outside 1/4" off both sides both limbs. Its dead weight for the most part. That center crown is doing the work. Why its curling up? You got me. Ive sinewed several bows and have never done anything more than scuff the back with 50 grit, size it with hide glue, wait a day and lay down 3-4 courses. Never had any issue with any of them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:53:33 pm »
Just to be sure, you are using hide glue? I couldn't find where you said.

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 05:32:35 pm »
I'm using swim bladder glue.

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 05:35:53 pm »
Thanks guys for the help with this. This is my first osage bow and first sinew backed bow, maybe I can make a video of what is happening.