Author Topic: Board bows  (Read 9801 times)

Offline Jax666

Re: Board bows
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 07:57:41 am »

Offline Scottski

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 08:17:30 am »
My first few are from boards broke a few also still have some that shoot real good. Don't give up if you break a couple. I would bet some of the great builders broke some. If you ain't breaken you ain't maken. All it takes is patients and practice.
Good luck and never give up you can do it.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Jax666

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 05:39:50 pm »
Looked at Maynard's again and they had some pretty wood, but the grain was not real straight. I checked the bigger boards too. It is easier to make a big piece smaller than vice verse, but also checked the smaller ones
Jerry

Offline Poggins

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 10:19:15 am »
My first board bow is made from an oak flooring board , I saved a few good looking boards and while working on some osage staves I decided to take a break and picked up one of the boards , 4" handle , 1 1/2" fades , 2" widest point with even taper down to 3/8" tips , 3/8" thick limbs , 57" NTN , 35# at 24" ( I have a short draw length ).
It has one spot in a limb that was a little concerned about so I kept it a little light , I've been thinking about sinew backing it one of these days and bumping it up to a hunting weight bow ( 40# minimum ), but for now I use it to show folks that they don't need staves to build a bow .
I have a few others set back and plan on a takedown , they are shorter than the board I used .

Offline Jax666

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 08:09:10 am »
My first board bow is made from an oak flooring board ,

Oak flooring boards1? Were these old or modern?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 09:12:07 am »
Just be prepared to walk away of you don;t find a straight grained board.
I have walked more than a few times.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 03:12:27 pm »
Jax, "pretty" wood makes lousy bows!  At least from a furniture maker's POPV of what pretty is.

Long, straight, boring lines.   Board bow success is based upon choosing the right board.