Author Topic: Purty good dog!  (Read 2040 times)

Stringman

Purty good dog!
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:47:27 pm »
During Mollie's last bird hunt, the group started discussing how well I had her trained. We all agreed that she was pointing and retrieving well, but the other hunters were asserting that she was just average... any decent bird dog can do that.

I said, "that may be true, but you haven't seen her best trick."  Feeling somewhat cocky, I called Mollie in and sent her back out with a new command. Rather than the usual "hunt 'em up!" I now began to encourage her with "Count Off!" And as she ran back and forth, tracking into the wind she suddenly stopped with her nose stiff  and tail vibrating. Not being a typical 3-footed pointer, my comrades were somewhat caught off guard when Mollie suddenly lifted a foot and quickly dropped it back to earth. Out of the corner of my eye I could see brows furrow as fingers tightened on shotguns. After the flush and retrieve I knew what was coming.

"So what was that all about?" they sang. I calmly replied, one lift, one bird."

"Yeah, right!! We don't believe that!"

Suddenly, Mollie's tail started vibrating again and after circling, she came to a rigid and pronounced point. This time to their amazement, Mollie slowly lifted and dropped her foot, not once, but 4 times with rhythm. We hunters, slowly placed ourselves and when the flush came, 4 quail burst from cover and flew in every direction.

By this point all were scratching their heads and trying to hide the funny looks on their faces. As we began to walk off Mollie came racing back at the group and stopped in front of me with a stick in her mouth.

"Now what's that mean?" Said the closest. I turned with a grin, "More birds than you can shake a stick at!"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Purty good dog!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:59:24 pm »
Dogs love to do their jobs and usually they do it well. If she points and retrieves she's a good bird dog. Just look at tat smileon her face.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:08:12 pm »
Great story Scott
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:50:31 pm »
She looks like she is well trained to me Scott.  The only thing my dogs are trained to do is eat and poop
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:06:54 pm »
  The only thing my dogs are trained to do is eat and poop

But they do it well don't they clint >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:23:40 pm »
Applying palm to forehead with alacrity and great momentum...SCHMACK!  And I didn't even see it coming.  Thank you Scott, and my apologies to anyone of you I may meet in the future and I try telling this story on you. 

LOVE IT!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.