Author Topic: Handle wrap input please?  (Read 2969 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Handle wrap input please?
« on: February 22, 2015, 07:04:32 pm »
Ok I'm pondering,  a new to me at least, handle wrap idea. I really like it but I'm getting stumped on the application process.
What I want to do is,  take some belly scale cut off's from the snake skin that I put on the back of this bow, and wrap them around the handle. I tried a dry fit and it looks pretty cool. I will apply true oil over the whole thing so it will be under the finish so to speak.

I used tight bond 3 thinned with a little bit of water to apply the skins to the back over the sinew. I was thinking on using the same thing  to wrap the handle. But not sure of the mess of the glue squeezing out of the wrap. I thought about super glue but I don't think that is a good idea.
I was hoping that some of you guy's had an idea or had done something similar before. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Patrick

Here is a pic of what I'm hoping to achieve.

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Handle wrap input please?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 08:19:37 pm »
That would be sweet! My only thought would be contact cement, or spray adhesive, that would prevent the glue smearing problem. However, I'm not sure that would be good under tru oil. Best of luck on that. It looks awesome in the pic. Keep us posted, I would like to do the same with some blue racer belly skins I have.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

owlbait

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 08:36:44 pm »
That looks neat. Would it make sense to wrap it so the overlaps ran down instead of up? That would eliminate the lip/edge where "stuff" could accumulate?

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 08:45:31 pm »
That looks neat. Would it make sense to wrap it so the overlaps ran down instead of up? That would eliminate the lip/edge where "stuff" could accumulate?

I thought about that and not sure if I won't do that. What  I would like to do though is use the curve of the belly scales to line up with the curve of the shelf.

Thanks Dave! I will definitely make sure I relay how I finally achieve the desired results. Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 08:53:47 pm »
heavy gel medium from the art store,, it dries clear,, so any that gets on the skin can be wiped off and when you put the finish on wont show at all,, it is made by liguitex,,,, it will even glue down rawhide,,

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 09:26:21 pm »
Thanks Brad, do you think I can find that at hobby lobby or Michael's? Patrick

Offline DavidV

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 10:16:16 pm »
What I would do (and you know my grips aren't great)is use contact cement to apply it. The several coats of poly to seal it in and keep it smooth. Like how guys stabilize bark edge furniture.
Springfield, MO

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 10:29:40 pm »
Personally I'd apply it to leather with contact, then put it on like normal and lace it up
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 12:47:07 am »
Thanks David and bubby! I like both  of the ideas. I'm going to try an experiment with them. I have plenty to do it with too. I will try to do what bubby stated and try another way on some scrap wood.  I will still have plenty to do the way I started if I don't like those. Thanks for the replies fellas! Patrick

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 01:14:19 am »
Im no expert by far but what about using it on the leather like the previous suggestion and applying it like a racket ball racket wrap. (that was a month full) lol.that might look pretty good.  But like I said im no expert.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 01:32:49 am »
Not a bad idea TimothyR! I'll mess with it to see what I can figure out. Patrick