Author Topic: bamboo back question  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Renacs

bamboo back question
« on: February 22, 2015, 05:05:21 pm »
  when your scraping the rind from the bamboo, back.  can you reduce it that way?  My question comes from having a great piece of boo with only four fairly even spaced nodes, but it has a dent in. ive scraped the whole back and i can still feel it.  i would post pics but my macro or close up pics suck. and the depression is about a 1/4" long and runs from the edge of the back to alittle pass center

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: bamboo back question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 05:53:49 pm »
No. Scrape the rind ONLY. In fact, I prefer not to scrape all of the rind off, and finish it with sandpaper.... even leaving a tiny little bit down in the furrows there. Do not scrape into the power fibers as this greatly increases the chances of a splinter lifting.... as does any dent in the surface. Honestly, I would burn that piece and use another. I dont like to waste time and material on bows that 'might' survive.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Renacs

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 06:19:08 pm »
i kind of knew the answer, i just did'nt want to admit it to myself.  i'm going to still finish it for myself , maybe it will make a good bowfishing bow?  That was try two for my trade bow.  I have been in a slump lately, but going to get at it again.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 04:55:49 pm »
   What caused the dent?  Leaning on something while it was green and then dried?  Might be fine.

A hard whack from a tool while dry?  Probably won't.