Author Topic: Cherokee-style black locust bows???  (Read 17058 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Re: Cherokee-style black locust bows???
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 05:52:16 pm »
Yes. Thanks, Jesse.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 11:09:42 pm »
Thanks Jesse, I'm sure you know more about these bows than me, but I have never seen a old bow made from anything but black locust. I have seen hickory and osage but post 1900. The Cherokee had been "civilized" for some time before the trail of tears and the removal to indian territory. Any solid info on bows pre 1800?

I only know what i have seen and been told thru oral tradition . Osage was traded to the east so i was told but black locust was THE wood i will ask my mom if she knows anything about pre 1800 bows.  Better yet i can call the cherokee heritage center in tahlequah oklahoma As soon as i know i will post the info ... i have a d bow of osage i just posted on here a month ago or so u should go check it out ... it s modeled after al herrins bows but i made it slightly sronger
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 11:05:25 am »
Thanks Jesse, I'm sure you know more about these bows than me, but I have never seen a old bow made from anything but black locust. I have seen hickory and osage but post 1900. The Cherokee had been "civilized" for some time before the trail of tears and the removal to indian territory. Any solid info on bows pre 1800?

I only know what i have seen and been told thru oral tradition . Osage was traded to the east so i was told but black locust was THE wood i will ask my mom if she knows anything about pre 1800 bows.  Better yet i can call the cherokee heritage center in tahlequah oklahoma As soon as i know i will post the info ... i have a d bow of osage i just posted on here a month ago or so u should go check it out ... it s modeled after al herrins bows but i made it slightly sronger

I checked out your "D" bow pictures, Jesse. Sweet. That is sort of what I am looking to build. Thanks.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline kid bow

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 01:30:02 pm »
My best friend uses a mixture of beeswax and bear fat to seal his bows naturally. As far as dyes something dark is what i tend to favor
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 02:43:30 pm »
My best friend uses a mixture of beeswax and bear fat to seal his bows naturally. As far as dyes something dark is what i tend to favor
I think you meant to post this in a different discussion.