Author Topic: Hickory longbow  (Read 3221 times)

Offline OleHickory

Hickory longbow
« on: February 22, 2015, 02:11:22 pm »
This is my third bow, and my first using a tree I cut down. I am starting to tiller it and when I pull the bow back I can feel it twist in my hand. Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

Offline Drewster

Re: Hickory longbow
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 02:20:56 pm »
Can you post some pics and give us a bit more detail about what's happening and where you are in the tillering process.  Thanks.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:08:04 am »
Yeah post some pics so the docs can diagnose the problem. I've got a couple ideas whats causing it but want to see the patient before we pronounce a cure.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:57:04 am »
If it's twisting that bad sounds like the limb tips are not lining up with the handle...String tracking way off?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:46:50 am »
Check the thickness of the limbs from side to side. Sounds like you have one side(or a portion of) thicker than the other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:24:21 am »
I'm having the same issue with a stave of Osage I'm working. String alignment  is off on the very edge of the handle . The stave is reflexes about 2 inches. Do you think if I get the string aligned that will fix it
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:57:38 am »
alwayslookin, start another post with your problem and post pics. Lets not step on OleHickory's post.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 01:06:58 pm »
Good point sorry for hijacking
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 01:17:57 pm »
  HICKORYS my wood I've built a good 30 HICKORY BOWS.

If you fell a twist when you pull it. It's the grain twisted it was there when you tiller it.

You can take some twist out when you tiller it.

No sorry it's there to stay. Chalk it up to exspearance Built another bow.

PM ME I'VE GOT LOTS OF HICKROY,MALLBERRY, SUGARBERRY,DOGWOOD STAVES I'LL MADE YOU A DEAL.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING