Author Topic: Jokes about your profession.  (Read 13331 times)

Offline NimRand

• USAF Retired (Displaced Michigander)
Re: Jokes about your profession.
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2015, 01:34:37 am »
No. not a Meteorologist, they have degrees. We just had months of training. Kinda had a saying, your only as good as your next forecast. You can get 100 right in a row but blow the next one and that's all people remember.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2015, 03:39:11 am »
My favorite oxymoron - "An accurate forecast." Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2015, 03:49:53 am »
C'mon... they are waaaay better than economists who are merely experts in explaining why they couldn't see it coming.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline GB

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2015, 03:57:34 am »
My first "real" full time job was I guess kind of an odd one; rain gutter installer.  I was 19 and worked for a newly started company run by a loud, larger than life character who was a dead ringer for Peter Falk (anyone remember "Columbo"?)  I was employee number four, the rookie, and low man on the crew.  Yeah, I was sent to get the sky hook, the aluminum stretcher, the "left handed" B elbow ("Nah, that ain't it.  The seam's gotta be on the other side.  Go look again.") and on and on.  Except for our boss who was in his mid-30s, we were all around my age and it was an informal shop to say the least; work hard, play hard.  My job interview was two questions:  "You like girls?"  Aced that one.  "You smoke pot?"  Ah, well...plead the 5th on that one.  Hey, I was 19 and it was the early 1970s.  Everyone got a nickname.  Our lead guy was "Ace", number two was "Studly Do-Wrong" and he gave me mine; "Greg Baby" or GB for short, I guess because I had long hair and he figured I was a hippie or something.  Maybe I was, but I was a working hippie. :)

The first time that the job site (for me at least) was one of those big three story Victorians ("Wait...you want me to climb up there?!") I was heartened by the boss' words of wisdom. 
"Don't worry, the fall ain't gonna hurt ya.  It's the sudden stop that does ya in."

My buddies back in the neighborhood had fun with my new profession.  "Spent the day layin' in the gutter again, didn't ya?"  "Hey, get your mind outta the gutter."  It's good to have friends.
I did that type of work for about 15 years, although I only worked for that first company for two of them.  Most fun place I've ever worked.  I don't usually look back to those days, but if I do it always makes me smile.

Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2015, 09:10:49 am »
No. not a Meteorologist, they have degrees. We just had months of training. Kinda had a saying, your only as good as your next forecast. You can get 100 right in a row but blow the next one and that's all people remember.
a saying I teach the new guys at work is"You can be right 100 times and no one will remember, but if you are wrong once they never forget". People come into my line of work from the private sector quite a but, and we in government do things a lot different. We don't get paid by the job, but by the hour. Make sure you do it right the first time, or you will be back doing it again!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:34 pm »
I'm a retired USAF Weather Tech. I don't need to tell the jokes, you all have told them already, time and time again.

Always figgered the Air Force was the smart place for the low guys on the totem pole....load the bombs and fuel on the plane, salute sharp, and say, "Have a good day at the war, sir! Come home in one piece!"
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.