Author Topic: At long last a decent Bow! :)  (Read 3438 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
At long last a decent Bow! :)
« on: February 21, 2015, 12:03:58 pm »
Hi guys I'd appreciate some input on the bend of this my latest and most successful Hazel stave bow. It's pulling about 45#@26" and has hardly any string follow! :) I am over the moon as it's been more than a year I've been making shavings and having little success.
I think I should get it bending a little more and would be happy with 40-45# at 28". Incidentally there is a bit of prop twist which I couldn't steam out and my daughter Sofia assisted me with the photos. Cheers Si :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline sieddy

Re: At long last a decent Bow! :)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:08:01 pm »
sorry the pictures are poor quality I had a battle getting them small enough to post!  ::)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Online ajooter

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 12:15:09 pm »
It appears you could move you draw hand up a couple inches in that full draw.  Looks pretty good to me congrats on your first decent bow  :)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 12:22:16 pm »
  First off congrats...Looking by the length you should easily get a few more inches...How long is your bow Sieddy?
                                                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline sieddy

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 12:32:53 pm »
Hey Don 68" ntn.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 12:36:54 pm »
Nice bow, and your little helper is adorable

Offline arachnid

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 12:49:42 pm »
Am I the only one that sees a little hinge on the upper limb? Just outside the fade?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 01:03:05 pm »
Am I the only one that sees a little hinge on the upper limb? Just outside the fade?

No your not buddy! Looks like if he took a few more scrapes from mid limb out it might fix it.

Looks like you have it to full draw. If 26" is your draw length then there is no reason to tiller it out to 28". Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 01:06:27 pm »
On second thought, that upper fade looks really stiff. Try to make sure you are holding your bow in the correct position on the handle and on the string. Then post another full draw pic. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 01:16:19 pm »
Sieddy,
             Set your camera to 480x640 and pics will be perfect...We could see it better
                                                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline arachnid

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 01:27:47 pm »
On second thought, that upper fade looks really stiff. Try to make sure you are holding your bow in the correct position on the handle and on the string. Then post another full draw pic. Patrick

Your right, I ment the mid-limb seems to be a little hinged. the fade looks very stiff.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 01:37:20 pm »
Thanks fellas I knew I could rely on th PA community. :)
I see what you mean about the weak spot on the upper limb - should I scrape the upper fade?
Falcon I'll tell her someone said that and she'll blush :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 02:32:55 pm »
On the pictures, I use gimp which  is a freeware program.  You can shrink the file size without the actual physical size.  Takes a little playing around with it to figure it out but a cool program.  Loosen the limb just past the fade on the upper limb as the area just past it is too loose.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 02:41:00 pm »
Thanks Slimbob- I don't know much about online tools so I'll go on the social media sites asking if anyone can help me find Gimp  :o
Top tips mate :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 02:43:18 pm »
Google it.
I'm no computer guy by any bodies definition.  Pretty easy download and fairly easy to use once you figure it out.  Lot's of things it will do to a pic which I couldn't begin to explain how to use, but editing photos for our purposes here, pretty handy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:47:24 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.