Author Topic: Arizona oak for bow wood?  (Read 4243 times)

Offline dane lund

Arizona oak for bow wood?
« on: February 20, 2015, 04:43:51 pm »
Hi guys,
On a recent trip to Sunrise, I found a whole lot of oak trees that seemed perfect for bow building.
Don't know what kind of oak, but wondered if it would be worth trying a bow out of it?
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Arizona oak for bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 05:05:44 pm »
Most oaks are excellent bow woods.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:21:14 pm »
In all likelihood, the rings are going to be very close, which is bad for oak.  Its up to you if its still worth it.  I'm personally gonna try and hunt some New Mexico lucust

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 06:39:24 am »
 Jensen,
             Why is thin ringed oak bad? My last White Oak bow had rings of 1/64"... Let me now what you have experienced...
                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 10:19:15 am »
Because oak is ring porous and forms large vessels during early growth.  Since growing conditions are poorer in AZ than in other regions, it is more likely to form a thinner ring, of which a much higher proportion will be vessels.  This results in lower density and lower strength. 

I'm not saying that you can't build a decent bow out of it, or that it will necessarily have thin rings only that it is likely.  All things being equal, it probably will not be as good as oaks growing in more productive regions. 

Only thing you can do is give it a shot.  Not a whole lot of other choices in this state, not only selection, but legality.  I believe you cannot cut oaks on public land under and circumstances.  Of course, I could be wrong. 

Offline dane lund

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:57:35 pm »
That's what I'm up against right now. As far as I can tell, you can only cut dead and down wood on state land.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:06:54 pm »
I have no idea about state land, only federal.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 09:09:37 pm »
In Utah there are 2 areas you can legally cut green juniper on BLM land. Both are winter range for wildlife so they are closed in the winter months.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 07:09:20 am »
Because oak is ring porous and forms large vessels during early growth.  Since growing conditions are poorer in AZ than in other regions, it is more likely to form a thinner ring, of which a much higher proportion will be vessels. 
That's not true. You are confusing earlywood/latewood ratio with ring thickness. They are two independent matters. Ring porous woods, such as oak, are stronger with a low percentage of earlywood (the big vessels). But a thin ring does not necessarily cause a lot of earlywood and less latewood. This depends on various growing conditions. Thin ringed ring porous wood can still have a very good earlywood/latewood ratio, and as such it can still be very strong.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 05:00:35 pm »
I don't agree, but that's fine.  I admit I don't know everything.

Offline okie64

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 10:42:35 pm »
Post some pics of the trees and we can probably tellyou what kind of oaks they are. Most will agree white oaks are better than red oaks but either will do. Ring thickness is not as important as earlywood/latewood ratio, more latewood equals denser wood.

Offline Woody Knot

• Woody Knot Crafts
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 02:12:53 pm »
Just thought Id add something here that I've experienced seasoning white oak over here in the UK.
 Found a couple lovely straight 6 inch dia trees with little or no branch growth.
cut them, split them and all looked as perfect as can be.. I also debarked them,they were then put away in a cool dry airy Barn (asbestos roof) along with some similarly treated Elm.
Just recently pulled them out, the Elm is still straight. but the Oak has taken a little reflex at ends which is fine  but also some ends have twisted resulting in of course more work!
 So next time with oak Ill tie them to something straight or shaped, and solid and maybe rough them a little closer to finished.
 ..hope that saves you a little grief later.
Garry

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:54:04 pm »
  Some white oaks, which is what we have in Utah as Gambels, Bonneville, and scrub oak, look and act almost as if they were diffuse porous woods.  My experience making a few, it seems like rings don't much matter if the wood is hard and sound.

The bigger problem is drying them without big belly checks in our dry climate.  Also, fungus seems to love oak, so harvest, peel, split, and dry carefully.