Author Topic: Melting nail polish?  (Read 9678 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Melting nail polish?
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:17:01 pm »
Quick question for a very stupid mistake. Can nail polish be melted at a low enough temperature to keep from damaging steel? I'll be using a soldering iron. Acetone won't touch it where it is at, I tried.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Melting nail polish?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:21:06 pm »
What kind of nail polish did you "use"? Acetone normally takes it off, try putting some on a cotton ball, placing the cotton ball on the polish and wrapping it with foil.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 08:40:54 pm »
I used that hard-as-nails stuff as a thread locker on a rifle scope base. I let the action of the rifle soak in acetone about 9 hours and managed to get one of the 4 screws out. If I wasn't having the action tried up while getting the barrel changed I wouldn't worry about it. But the base is in the way of the barrel nut. Before having the smith drill new holes I'm gonna try heating it up and seeing what happens. I used the nail polish since I had lost my bottle of loctite and didn't feel like driving 20 min to town to get more. Paying for it now.

Kyle

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 08:46:17 pm »
Wouldn't nail polish remover work??

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 08:58:03 pm »
Mo,
    Did you try putting a screwdriver in the slot and give it a sharp whack, that will sometimes break the bond?  The only other thing I can think of would be to get a screwdriver (or allen wrench) red hot stick into the screw slot and wait for the heat to sink in to the screw as you apply torque. Sorry thats all I got for simple fixes.
rich

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 09:06:57 pm »
I did try giving it a good rap with a punch to see if the shock would break it loose and it didn't. I've broke Off 5 #10 torx bits so far. Tomorrow I'm gonna see if a little heat will do te trick. If not then I'll probably have to have it drilled out.

Kyle

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:58:14 pm »
In aviation when a bolt is stuck we heat the metal around to bolt and that metal expands while the bolt doesnt. We use a graphite like ( maybe graphite ) as a temp indicator. We press the tip down and soon as it starts to melt your done. Remove the bolt easy as can be. That method does not damage the temper of the metal.

Or put the allen wrench in the key hole. Heat the allen wrench up with a torch to let heat transfer into the allen key bolt until a lead pencil starts to melt its tip on the barrel. Then allow it to cool or put a drop of water on the allen key. That should cool it enough to shrink it to remove from the hole.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 05:42:04 pm »
I'm gonna have to agree with sleek.. Heat the metal around the screw
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 06:44:00 pm »
I tried straight hearing it to see if it would melt it and that didn't work. Tomorrow I'll try heating everything around th screw the way sleek said. I just need to pick up some more bits. Will it make a difference with the base being aluminum?

Kyle

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 09:30:58 pm »
Try freezing it. Epoxy will crumble and fall apart when frozen.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dmathis992

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 10:20:48 pm »
mix up rubbing alcohol vodka and vinegar works gray formeh gf getting it off white shirts and comforters

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 10:25:13 pm »
I would try a hair dryer it should heat it up enough to free it and not damage the metal and or call a gunsmith and ask a lot of times they are glad to give advice.
john 3:16

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 10:41:03 pm »
Have you tried any solvents harsher than acetone?  Lacquer thinner, and any acetone or toluene based paints are not friends. The lacquer will cause the paint to peel...usually.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 11:01:41 pm »
Go to any aviation repair facility.  Ask for mpk. Methyl propyl ketone. Not nice stuff. Absorbs through your skin so bad you can taste it and kills your liver. Works better than anything. Will even remove permanent marker.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline dmathis992

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 12:17:37 am »
@ sleek is that anything like methylene chloride? ( I know I spelled that wrong) used that when I was in the fiberglass field of work was some nasty stuff.