Author Topic: light reactive woods  (Read 4628 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
light reactive woods
« on: February 21, 2015, 11:55:42 am »
So in my nightly internet searches for whatever seems to tickle my fancy at the moment I learned about some woods being UV reactive. I may be mistaken, but I believe I read that most game animals lack a UV filter in their eyes, making some items glow to them. Wouldn't these woods act as a becon to game animals while hunting? Just a thought.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEG_eTlvLMQ
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline sleek

Re: light reactive woods
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:58:43 pm »
Very interesting thought...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

JacksonCash

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:04:45 pm »
Oh man! Great topic. This is totally testable with a camera and a UV-only filter. You can see what shines through in different light conditions. I did a lot with different types of light and filters for some machine vision applications at my last job, and a teeny tiny bit at my current job.

Here's an interesting tidbit - the human eye can see UV light, but our lenses filter it out. The retina is perfectly capable of picking it up. There are a number of accounts, both modern and historical of people having lenses removed due to cataracts or some other eye disease and being able to see UV light. Tends to give everything a bluer tint. The artist Claude Monet had a blue period later in his life, which happened after he had his lenses removed. He painted more blue because he saw more blue - in everything.

I would totally be willing to get some filters and perform some tests on this - just may need some small wood samples.

I wonder how different finishes may affect this?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 05:47:29 pm »
I also wonder how finish would change the outcome. It looks like the different colors come from something in the wood. It can be brought out with water, and can be brought out even more drastically by using alcohol. Different woods can have orange glow. Kinda neat. Osage glows, but mulberry doesn't.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 07:39:39 pm »
Shine a black light on your hunting clothes some time....and understand why most of it is neon colored to the deer!  Plus we often use "dye enhancer" detergents that boost that UV reflectivity. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

JacksonCash

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 07:41:03 pm »
Shine a black light on your hunting clothes some time....and understand why most of it is neon colored to the deer!  Plus we often use "dye enhancer" detergents that boost that UV reflectivity. 
Looking at you on this one, Tide...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 07:42:42 pm »
Eyup!

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 07:57:42 pm »
As a younger guy who has been to some clubs with black lights I know fabric softener also does it. So am I on to something here, or just nuts?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 07:59:42 pm »
As a younger guy who has been to some clubs with black lights I know fabric softener also does it. So am I on to something here, or just nuts?

Yes, and again, yes.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 08:52:48 pm »
Good catch. I am nuts. But those of us who know we are one step ahead of the ones who don't.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 11:13:58 pm »
I am of the understanding that deer can only see the color blue. This seems to go along with that.

Jojo, even a blind nut can find a squirrel every once in awhile.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 11:34:43 pm »
Here is a quote from an article about it.

v.2.5
Eyes have it
Deer see the world differently than hunters have assumed for years
November 22, 2009 10:00 AM
By Ben Moyer

inShare
A whitetail buck grazed on a hillside in Washington County. Two does nipped grass just above him. The driver of a red pickup truck spotted the deer, 150 yards away, and braked. As the truck stopped, all three deer raised their heads and stared intently toward the intruding vehicle. The driver wondered: "Did those deer see my truck as an alien object? Or, had they simply heard the crunch of tires on gravel and sensed danger when the sound stopped?"

Such encounters happen all the time between humans and deer. Hunters, especially, ponder what deer can see and how to dress in the woods to avoid detection.

Ongoing research shows that hunters have over-simplified how deer see, especially in assuming that deer are "color blind."

In a series of studies at the University of Georgia, a research team anesthetized nine deer and recorded electrical responses in the whitetail's eyes to light shone on their retinas. While the retina of the human eye is equipped with a high density of "cone cells" that support color vision across the broad range of hues perceived as blue to red, deer have relatively few cones. Human eyes also have a "filter" which protects the eye from ultra-violet light and helps humans see objects in fine detail.

Deer eyes, though, are packed with far more "rod cells," enabling deer to see well in low light. From a human viewpoint, deer "sacrifice" broad color vision and detail for acute sight at night, dawn and dusk.

But it is wrong to say that deer are "color blind."

"What we discovered is that deer are not color blind, although they do see color differently than we do," said Brian Murphy, CEO of the Quality Deer Management Association and a wildlife biologist who participated in the University of Georgia research.

"Deer are essentially red-green color blind like some humans. Their color vision is limited to the short and middle wavelength colors. As a result, deer likely can distinguish blue from red, but not green from red, or orange from red."

Murphy explained that a deer probably perceives a hunter's blaze orange coat as neutral gray, which, if color were the only visual clue, might always blend in well with natural backgrounds. But the ultra-violet radiance of clothing can "give it away" in a deer's eye, even if color does not.

"It's too simplistic to say that wearing orange will not impact your hunting success," Murphy said. "There is color, then there is the UV radiance off that color, no matter what the color is."

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 02:36:22 am »
So naked skin is best?

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 02:38:50 am »
At least tanned anyway...

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 03:54:14 am »
I have a loin cloth.  :o