Author Topic: walking stick  (Read 6600 times)

Offline Josh B

walking stick
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:19:35 pm »
I got lucky enough to hang out at twin oaks over the weekend and Pappy hooked me up with some swizzle sticks.  I am making this one for my uncle.  This is a maple sapling and it carves wonderfully.  Although, I'm a bit worried about it checking on me as green as it is. Thanks a million for the sticks and more importantly the hospitality Pappy!  This is what I started with.  Josh
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:07:29 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline Josh B

Re: walking stick
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 09:24:42 pm »
Obviously, I'm using madcrow's carve-along and the walking stick he made for me as inspiration.  However, I didn't want to copy his characters so I changed up the face a bit.  This is where I got to before I ran out of light.  I slobbered some tru-oil on it to keep it from checking.  Ill post more when I have an update.  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 09:35:37 pm »
Good start, looking pretty fancypants!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 10:49:50 pm »
Looking good Josh.  That will be nice all finished up.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 10:54:56 pm »
The walking stick is nice josh but can we get a close up pic of the dash board calendar?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:09:08 pm »
The walking stick is nice josh but can we get a close up pic of the dash board calendar?

Whoops!  I usually catch that. :-[  Thanks fellas!  Josh

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:08:18 am »
Looking good!  Sure that will be a treasured stick.
Drive safe . . . .
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 03:57:22 am »
Really enjoyed it my self Josh, nice long talk we had. ;) :) Stick looking good. I am sure you will make something special for you uncle out of it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 05:25:45 am »
Looking good Josh.  If you are planning on taking all the bark off, do it while it is still green.  Leave about five or six inches on each end, that will help keep it from splitting at the ends. 

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 07:59:59 am »
Real Nice you multi-talented bugger you, got a question though.....which side do ya carve to get rid o' that "prop twist" >:D ::) Nice start sir!!!
rich

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 08:03:23 am »
Looking good Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 11:05:28 am »
Thanks fellas!  I'm planning on leaving some bark on for most of it, but I'm going to sand the outer bark off down to the peach colored inner bark.  Josh

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 01:20:09 pm »
  Looks SWEETTTTTTTTT

Why do you carve it green. Looks like some sort of white wood it'll check if you don't seal it as soon as your done carving. Got to seal it with something just like the ends.   

I carve a lot wood and bone,antler if you let it season first your edges of your carving's will be a lot sharper. Just like a bow.

I like to carve a deer foot on the end. A turkey feather carved on one of one of those twists looks killed. But I don't think you can get that kind of detail craving green.
   But your carving looks really good.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 07:13:59 pm »
I learned a trick to keep the carving from checking when I started turn bowls from green wood.  When I am done for the day, I put the green shaving in a paper bag and put the bag over the end of the carving.  Tie it in place and twist the bag around so that most of the shavings are pressed against the carved face.  It will slow the drying out.  Also I have a few carvings that I call crackheads.  They get cracked on purpose.  I can carve the green wood faster if I use a mallet, so when I get done and decide where I want the crack to be in the wood, I give the whole thing a coat of poly, but don't put any where the crack will be.  Just leave an empty streak, and it will crack there.  From the look on the face, I think you have been looking at some carvings by Nancy Tuttle.  Keep going, we need more pics.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 12:24:03 pm »
Thanks Crooketarrow.

I really appreciate the tips Eddie!  I wrapped some cling wrap around the exposed wood as well as sealed it with tru-oil since I won't get back to it until next week.  My regular dispatcher was off work the last couple days and the substitute is new.  I guess she figured that Greenville MS to Aberdeen SD is only about 8 inches on the map and as such, I should be able to make it in a day. ::)   That put a kink in my carving schedule.  I have to admit that I had never heard of Nancy Tuttle so I did a quick Google search.  Wow!  She's got skill!  I should be about empty. So I'm gonna get off of here and see if I can't get this thing pointed south towards hearth and home.  Have a good weekend and thanks for the advice.  Josh