Author Topic: Feedback on bow design/blueprint  (Read 4695 times)

Offline dueb

Feedback on bow design/blueprint
« on: February 17, 2015, 02:20:36 pm »
I am one of the lucky people to score a sidewinder stave, and before I touch it I wanted to get my design idea on paper. In the end I want a bow that can pull #55 at a 32" draw. the stave is 72" long and I'm thinking of keeping that length. I'm gonna go with a pyramid design with a rounded rectangular cross section. I also plan on flipping the tips. Let me know if you think this will work.

Here is what I put down on paper http://i.imgur.com/QR509f3.jpg
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline bubby

Re: Feedback on bow design/blueprint
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 03:08:58 pm »
Personally I'd go 2" long for the fades at six ft you should be able to get 32" draw, man thats a long draw, anyway everything else seems doable on the drawing
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 03:38:54 pm »
Do you have a 32" draw, or do you just want it to draw to 32"? If you do, I'm just wondering why?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 04:32:42 pm »
what kind of wood is it,, I would go a little wider if you can,,

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 04:45:43 pm »
It's osager from sidewinder i think

Offline dueb

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:43:06 pm »
It is Osage, and yes I have a 32" draw. I have long arms XD Honestly I wanted to keep it somewhat narrow...
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 11:00:18 pm »
Very similar to what I make and very happy with design. I make mine 66" to 68"NTN for 28" draw. Only thing I would do different is go 3" to fades for a total of 10" between them.

Offline dueb

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:10:47 am »
Due to my draw length I want to keep the non-working portions to a minimum. So how short can I go with the fades? do they have to be longer than 1"?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 09:24:11 am »
Your fades can be 1" if that's what you want. No reason they have to be longer. I prefer longer fades for the aesthetic of them. Not sure if you have the stave yet but consider that your design will have to adjust depending on the shape of the stave. Your drawing is completely straight and from what Sidewinder said about those staves I bet it'll be quite snakey. If your width at the fades is 1.5" and it tapers directly to 1/4" then your mid limb width will be 7/8" wide. My main consideration for design and weight is mid limb width. In my opinion that would be too narrow to get 55# if I started at that width. I'd feel much better starting wider and working my way down if necessary.

Offline dueb

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:42:53 am »
How wide do you think I should go? 1 3/4"? The stave is 2 1/4" wide.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 11:21:57 am »
WARNING!

As Badger has pointed out and Paul Klopsteg said in the  1930s, the tips should never be narrower than their  thickness with a pyramid design.

Quarter inch-wide tips will wander off to the side at the least excuse. I have one that has done that. It still shoots, but the tips lean out of line to the side.

Here is the culprit:
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 11:30:52 am »
Also, unless you have shot a bow that has the back of the handle curved as you plan, it would be valuable to do so. While that curvature seems that it would balance the forces at the high point, the slightest difference in the way you hold it will make a bigger difference in the vertical dispersion of your shots.

There is a reason that bow handles for target archery before recurves became popular were either straight or slightly curved on the back of the handle.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 11:47:17 am »
The trouble with short fades and newer builders is you tend to get too much bend in the fades, go 1-3/4" wide and you should make weight

Offline dueb

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 10:09:03 pm »
Thanks for the advice so far guys. I wanted to say that the reason I'm going for a pyramid design rather than a flat bow is that I've already got an ash flat bow in the works. I want to try something slightly different. Do you think pyramid design will work or will a flat bow design be a safer bet?

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 11:48:50 pm »
It will work just fine