Author Topic: Heat treating a well-used bow?  (Read 9997 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Heat treating a well-used bow?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 09:07:38 pm »
The original PA article(reprinted) mentioned heat treating as a refurbishing technique for older Yew bows.

Correct me if I'm wrong Pat but I think the article merely mentioned that heat was used to revitalize bows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 08:05:06 pm »

I found the mag from 2002.... The article quotes(paraphrases) the original Ye Sylvan Archery article from 1936.  It says heat tempering was used to rapidly season, temper a new stave to improve cast or reduce/eliminate string follow in a used bow with bad string follow.
   The author of the PA article speculates that this was  a forgotten secret not known to many modern bowyers. He says that space constraints made it impossible to cover the particulars of the process in his own article.
 It would be neat if someone actually had the original article from 193 to see how similar it is to what we do now.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 08:12:36 pm »
I've heat treated 2 setty tired bows. A yew on and an ocean spray one
Both bows were much better than they were before

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 08:51:55 pm »
I did n a mullberry kids bow where I got heavy handd in wood removal.  Bow is still shooting. 2 years now for my girl.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 08:55:44 pm »
Just remembered.  I fixed serious set and off tiller in a kids bow by laminating on a thin maple backing strip.  Also added draw weight.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 09:48:53 am »

I found the mag from 2002.... The article quotes(paraphrases) the original Ye Sylvan Archery article from 1936.  It says heat tempering was used to rapidly season, temper a new stave to improve cast or reduce/eliminate string follow in a used bow with bad string follow.
   The author of the PA article speculates that this was  a forgotten secret not known to many modern bowyers. He says that space constraints made it impossible to cover the particulars of the process in his own article.
 It would be neat if someone actually had the original article from 193 to see how similar it is to what we do now.

Pat
Sounds like it is pretty well what we do now.  I don't remember if I read that article in detail when I made my experiments but it does show that there is indeed nothing new under the Sun

P.S.  I wish we could recover all the info from the old board.  A lot of stuff there

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 10:31:14 am »

Pat
Sounds like it is pretty well what we do now.  I don't remember if I read that article in detail when I made my experiments but it does show that there is indeed nothing new under the Sun

P.S.  I wish we could recover all the info from the old board.  A lot of stuff there
  Well that's really all it said but it was enough to start the renewed conversations about it. It would just be nice to know what their heat source was etc.
 I'm looking at buying the Ye Sylvan Archer collection that includes that issue. Pricey but likely well worth the cost.