Author Topic: tiller salvage  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
tiller salvage
« on: February 15, 2015, 01:55:02 am »
Hey folks,

This is an oceanspray stave I brought back from some terrible tiller.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50535.0.html

I'm not sure how to proceed right now. Should I take off some material close to the fade/handle on the left limb? Or should I take material where the bend isn't touching the curve?  Its at 18" right now.

Thanks in advance

mikekeswick

Re: tiller salvage
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 02:13:10 am »
The left limb is stiff from mid limb out to the tip. The other limb is nice.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 02:43:54 am »
Thanks Mike,

I had worked that area a bit before, if I take more off of the stiff-part mid-limb, will it cause the limb area closer to the fade to touch the curve?  I'm worried if I take more off the stiff mid limb, the bow will cross over the curve and I'll have to match the other limb to it. (I'm not sure if that makes sense....)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 03:43:35 am »

"Where it doesn't touch the curve" just left of the left fade is potentially a hinge 'cos it's bending too much (assuming a straight stave).
It can not touch the curve for different reasons.
1. If it just a dead straight limb... it wont tough the curve either side of the point where it does touch.
2. If it is a hinge...a)  it won't touch the curve between the two points where it is on the curve.
or b) it won't touch the curve at all one side or the other of the hinge.
The curve is more about symmetry.

Back to the old adage... if it's not bending , remove wood. If it's bending too much, leave it alone.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 08:58:55 am »
Dead middle of the left limb is flat.  Get it bending some and the area past the fade will look a little better.  I am inclined to think the belly of the handle is not dead flat which may be causing the left limb to be lifted just a tad, or it is sitting just off level.  Hard to know that from here but check it and see.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 09:12:26 am »
I just looked at the previous thread. I think the stave is bending  pretty well.

Did you get some chrysals on the belly at the spot of where the hinges where?

I would leave the last 8 inches alone on both limbs and work the rest of the stave. I would only use a scraper-like tool.

I assume you are making a bend in the handle bow.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 09:42:17 am »
My eyes may be seeing things; it doesn't seem like the handle is cradled quite flat on your tillering tree. The tiller looks pretty good so far.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 10:08:41 am »
My eyes may be seeing things; it doesn't seem like the handle is cradled quite flat on your tillering tree. The tiller looks pretty good so far.
Could be the right limb is a bit stiffer and pulling down that side... Maybe right limb should be lower limb?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 12:13:22 pm »
Thanks for the help everybody.

Jawge- no chrysal from the previous tiller, only time I've ever seen oceanspray chrysal was on green wood or on a crazy hinge that I didn't fix and shot arrows through (during my material experiment/testing days). I had to revert to a bendy handle and take more material off of the left limb near the handle. So I guess the left limb is a bit longer now.

Slimbob_ I'll look at it again and see if it's not sitting flat, I'll probably take some wood off the stiff spot.

Del_ I was hoping the right limb would be the upper, but it is a bit stiffer, even though it is thinner and much more narrow.

I'm going to look at it again and try taking some wood off the stiff mid limb.

Thanks for the input, I wasn't sure what I was seeing.
I still have to heat treat this one so I'm not nearly finished tillering.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 03:37:42 pm »
TN, can you check the draw weight before and after heat treating? I did an OS the other day and it hardly gained any weight at all.

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 06:07:48 pm »
I dont doubt that, after all OS is such a tension strong wood; heat treating may be good for some woods but not all.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell