Author Topic: First attempt at full recurve  (Read 4897 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: First attempt at full recurve
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 03:37:39 pm »
I don't have any pictures of it but the other side didn't splinter off near as bad but cracked to the same depth, which is one growth ring. Using the heat gun a little more when I started bending it and using an extra clamp helped a lot.  I've definitely got a few things to try on the black locust. I'm going to put a u-bolt or something on the tip so I don't have to pretend I have three hands in holding the bow, the clamp and tightening the clamp at the same time. I'll thin it a little more and round everything a little more. The towel and foil came off very quick. A little pull and it all just slid right off so I didn't waste any heat unwrapping it. Tonight I think I'll do some more bending and get the hooks twisted straight and line them up, it's small enough movement that dry heat should do it fine. I'm starting a second job this week so Ot will probably be a week or two before I have it shooting. And thanks for all the input everyone.

Kyle

Offline bubby

Re: First attempt at full recurve
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 04:34:31 pm »
That steamed towel will HOLD the heat in till it comes off, make sure you soak it to start
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹