Author Topic: First attempt at full recurve  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

First attempt at full recurve
« on: February 14, 2015, 10:29:23 pm »
Yesterday I tries steaming and bending full 90 degree recurves. I've flipped tips but this is my first full recurve. I think it turned out pretty well with the other limb this morning being a little better. Next time I'm definitely using a strip of metal to hold the wood and more clamps on the curve while bending. I used this bow as a test run for my trade bow to see if I liked this level of recurve. On that note do you think that black locust can take that amount of bending? The tips are 1/2" this so there is plenty of wood under the cracking to work, especially since I'm planning to glue layers of other woods under to to sturdy it up with lighter materials and for looks. So how does it look?

Kyle

Offline Sidewinder

Re: First attempt at full recurve
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 10:42:37 pm »
Thats a pretty bad break. I don't know. If you don't rush it, keep it oiled while heating it you can get it to bend that much. I think you may have just rushed that one. Hope fully there is still enough there to clean it up. I usually take my thickness down pretty much as far as I want to go before I start shaping them. Hopefully someone else we chime in with better insight.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 10:43:29 pm »
How long did you steam
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 10:53:35 pm »
It was steamed for about an hour using a Water soaked rag wraped on the limb then wrapped with foil and heated with a heat gun. I had steam flowing out of the foil for about an hour. From the other side the crack is only at the top corner. I definitely need to work on my bending some more but I think this one is still usable. For the next one I'll steam a little longer.

Kyle

Offline Renacs

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 11:43:52 pm »
I wish I had the b--la to to try that bend, but you inspire me to try.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 02:37:55 am »
Get your bow a little further along before you recurve. Less wood bends so much easier.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 03:45:55 am »
We've all had that happen.
It's recoverable. It won't look so bad once it's rasped down and had a nice thin layer of wood glued over it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 08:47:48 am »
 Soaking the wood for a few days before steaming or  even boiling will work better if you want to make a sharp bend.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 08:50:04 am »
A metal strap wont help anything. Ive yet to figure out how a strap putting a fuzz of downward pressure on a belly can keep a tension crack from happening. Id suggest a pot of low boiling water and a tin foil hood next time. Your wood wasn't hot enough to make that bend, hence the massive crack. 35-40 minutes is plenty of time to bend in statics. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 10:16:37 am »
One thing that helps when steam bending is to round the belly a bit and give the edges a good sanding for the length of the tip you will be bending the curves in.  The strap does help
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 10:22:09 am »
Ive yet to figure out how a strap putting a fuzz of downward pressure on a belly can keep a tension crack from happening. Id suggest a pot of low boiling water and a tin foil hood next time.

The strap doesn't put downward pressure on the belly.  It acts like a super strong backing and forces the bBACK to compress to the point the belly doesn't crack.  Same way bamboo "overpowers" weak wood bellies.

Mo_coon-catcher, the way you steamed it is fine, and plenty long.  The  issue is the time it takes to get the towel and wrapping off and get the wood on the form.  Wood should be too hot to comfortably touch when bending.  It cools rapidly in the air.  That, along with getting it thinner before bending will help you.

Offline rps3

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 11:43:54 am »
I am with Chris, never figured out the strap thing but just thought I wasn't doing it right. I Personally also prefer a pan of water boiling on the side burner of a grill covered with foil for an hour then bend quicker than quick. Everybody knows why you don't use the stove! If you have a wife that is.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 11:50:04 am »
If you can put it on the former and make a temporary steam chest around it then you can bend it while it's still in the steam.
I've used a plastic 5Litre (gallon?) container to do that. Some sacking or an old duvet draped over it helps keep the heat in.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 02:29:51 pm »
I haven't done a ton of steam bending but my best success came from straight grain, round corners, smooth belly, tightly fitting strap, and a lot of heat and steam.  Species that work well are elm, osage,yew, and maple.  I've read that white oak works also.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 03:25:33 pm »
I've only done a couple with a strap but I think all it does is capture the splinter and keep it from traveling as far. It also bends the splinter to match the bow so it's easier to glue back down. :D I'm going to try to get the strap tighter, that may help.