Author Topic: Biggest rub I have seen in our area  (Read 5936 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Biggest rub I have seen in our area
« on: February 14, 2015, 07:05:29 pm »
The rut in parts of south Alabama goes well into February.  Found this rub on a red oak tree and it is the biggest that I have found on our property.  I am getting an idea of where I will be setting up next fall. ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Biggest rub I have seen in our area
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 12:37:55 am »
WOW!   Maybe another exotic jumped the fence Howard.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 06:35:39 am »
  I can see the bark and cambium at the base of the tree...That's fresh, hope you see him Howard...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline RyanR

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 08:37:07 am »
That's a good one. I don't see many like that around my hunting areas.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 01:08:17 pm »
  Thats sweet I've only seen 2 rubs in my life thats that big. One buck killed on a friend farm was a 22 wide 5 1/2 that scored 167" buck in KANAS. And a freind in TEXAS sent me picks of a 159" 12 point with 25 inch inside. Thats a sign post rub Made at the first start of your rut. If he made it and next years everythings the same I know bucks to come back next year and re rub the same tree.

It be awsome just to know your hunting where he is or comes.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 05:07:25 pm »
Great to see you posting again crooketarrow.  That rub was along the river which is part of our property line.  There are some big bucks that scrape and rub that whole area every year.  This one is near a big bedding area adjacent to about fifty acres of old growth hardwoods where they eat acorns and I am sure he will be right there next year.  It is so far down in the woods that you can't hear a car, just an occasional barge on the river....  Just thinking about it makes me sad knowing that I will have to wait until next fall to play the game again.  The stands and blinds will go up three months before the season starts and after that I won't set foot in there again till opening day.  I think that besides the peak of the rut, that first week of bow season is a time when you have the best crack at a mature buck.   Here is a pic of his kid brother taken about 250 yards from that rub about a month before the rub was made....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:14:02 pm by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 09:23:01 pm »
 Thats a nice buck but your right he did'nt make that rub.
  Man you've got to live down in the black belt to have ALA. bucks like that.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 10:43:08 pm »
You got it brother!  Tombigbee River bottom, blackbelt soil... I am real thankful to be so close to such good hunting. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 08:25:52 pm »
Holy cow thats a big rub! Thats a nice buck in that pic too!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 08:44:17 pm »
I can't remember finding a bigger rub than this one Okie.  My father-in-law took that one a few weeks ago.  It is sad to see the season end.  Where I hunt the season ends about the time the scrapes go dry and start to cover over with leaves.  Now the long wait begins till October kicks it off again.   :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 11:50:22 am »
  My god man we've got to trade a bow hunt. We have bucks here that average in the 120's
 but we see 130's a 140 now and then.  Two years ago 2 farms over they rifle killed a 159" 10 point. AGED AT 5 1/2 222 #'s I've hunted age for years so if he's 4 1/2 I send a arrow.

My old friend crooket arrow LIVED BY THE BOW I'd starve if I couldn't ride to wallmart. He was like grandaddy If you don't shoot you'll never know. Crooket arrowed say if I can get blood I'll find him and he wasn't kidding.
  He made me a tracker I stuck with him all day lots of days. Every set of tracks he'd follow as far as he could. We did this 100's of times before long your going from 10 yards to 100's of yards.

We tracked down a doe with a fawn. I picked the track. It took use 3 hours for us to get 400 yards. He got to 15 yards shot the fawn With a HICKORY 56"25@47# BOW DOGWOOD ARROW obsidian point. I've never seen him use anything but knapped points. Got me started I've killed 5 mature bucks and 3 gobblers with my own knaped heads.

I shot a buck on NOV.20 th gut shot him never found him yet still looking.

I know in the short ten years I know ed him. I know he killed 30 deer using his method of STILL HUNT to he saw the deer then stalked the deer. Letting the deer to most of the work Lots of times he's just cut the deer off. And let the deer come to him. HE WAS A TOTAL MEAT HUNTER.
  He had a wife and what they didn't grow. He killed do kinding when he got low on meat he went hunting for real. We ride down to the store.

PM ME I JUST LIKE TO TALK

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 06:06:30 am »
Yep that is a nice one for sure. :) I think in general yall are right on big rub= big buck but I have seen little bucks rub big trees before several times.  ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:38 pm »
Yeah, i agree with you Pappy.  You can't tell for sure from tracks, rubs, or scrapes.  I watched a little forkhorn scrape out a place big as a dining room table last year.  I think every deer is different and you never stop learning new things about them.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 04:54:31 pm »
So true and when you think you have learned it all they will show you how wrong you were, nice buck by the way. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline monkeyball

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 11:37:19 pm »
This was the biggest I have found in the area I hunt. This was this year and that is a 64" recurve. Big rub!