Author Topic: My first Classic, and many thanks  (Read 2020 times)

Offline StickMan47

My first Classic, and many thanks
« on: May 09, 2015, 05:10:13 pm »
This year I was able to attend my very first classic; what an amazing experience! I had the good fortune to meet some of the most talented bowyer's on here, whose bows I have spent hours drooling over and marveling at the beauty of the work they do. I never would have dreamed that going to a primitive archery gathering would be as fun as this years classic was.

I have many people to thank for making my first classic one that I will never forget:

First of all, I would like to thank Pappy. You give us a great place to have the classic. You welcomed hundreds of strangers to your property and allow them to use your work space, tools, electricity, water, archery course, and a very large pile of firewood (that wasn't near as large upon my leaving). Thank you Sir for your generosity and the opportunity to make my first successful osage selfbow.

After I got camp set up I walked back up the hill to check things out. I was hanging around the bow shed watching some guys working on bows when I see a guy calling me over to a very large pile of osage staves. Turns out this feller is Osage Outlaw, but I did not know that at the time. He introduced himself and asked me if I wanted a stave. Well I didn't know what to say at first, I didn't want to turn down his offer but being a rookie I didn't really have anything to offer in trade. I'm thinking in the back of my mind, I'm going to buy some of this osage if its the last thing I do! Long story short, I walked back to my camp carry 2 nice pieces of "Osage Outlaw" osage! I smiled all the way back down the hill reflecting on how lucky I was.
Thanks for the nice osage Clint.
The next morning I'm on my way up the hill and Clint is camped just across from me. He see's me and waves me over to the smell of breakfast cooking. There's about 4 or 5 guys standing around, not only great Bowyer's (I learned this after introductions were made), but truly great people all around! The designated cook was "Stringman" Scott Stanberry, a friend of his named Dave (not on P.A. I think), "gsulfridge" Greg, and "Misslemaster" Cody. Next thing I know I'm eating breakfast with these guys.
Scott, Dave,... thanks for feeding me breakfast; thanks for sharing with me many great breakfasts thereafter. I appreciate ya'lls hospitality.

The guys working the classic, around the bow shop, were immensely helpful. Matt W. (I'm not gonna try to spell your last name Wirwiki?  :), Cody, Greg, Will H, and all the others helping out whose names I can't remember, a BIG THANK YOU for walking me through the tillering process and helping me make my first bow.

I know this post turned out kinda long but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all they gave of their time and instruction, their food, and their wood. I won't ever forget my first classic because of you guys!

One more thing, Clint and Scott, I will be sending y'all something in exchange for the staves y'all gave me, thank you both for welcoming a stranger to y'alls camp and making his first classic a great one!

Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: My first Classic, and many thanks
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 10:12:01 pm »
You've just experienced your first, Real, Classic. The rest wont change much.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:19:15 am »
Thanks for the kind words Kick.  We enjoyed having you around our campfire.  You fit right in with our little group.  Maybe next year you can get your wife to come eat breakfast with you.  Don't worry about sending me anything.  Help somebody else out on down the road.  That's what its all about anyway.  Passing it along.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 08:20:04 am »
Glad to have ya around, Kick. Clint said it about right. See ya next year!

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 09:00:17 am »
Nice meeting ya and sharing bfast with ya...ditto on getting the ole lady down for a bite too...we don't bite...hard!!! Lol  :laugh: 

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 12:39:40 pm »
It was nice meeting you too Chris. And yea if the wife comes back next year I'll have to get her around the camp a little more. She was pretty wore out by the time we made it to the classic.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:15:02 pm »
Sounds like your experience wasn't anything out of the ordinary, pretty much normal for the Tennessee Classic!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.