Author Topic: Wood Storage  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Comancheria

Wood Storage
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:28:51 am »
I think I now have a fairly good grasp of when to cut and how to split and process logs and staves, keep them safe from insects, paint the end-grains and de-barked backs, dry etc.  But I am concerned with heat.  I would assume that heat would help with air drying, but I assume there might be downsides.  The best place I have to cure my splits and staves is a metal boat barn.  Not sure of the maximum inside temperature  in the Texas summer, (I will be measuring it this year), and I have no way to circulate air.

I would like your opinions as to the maximum temperatures you think advisable for curing--both for Osage and for white woods.

Thanks, and best regards,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Wood Storage
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 12:09:08 pm »
I like slow drying and cool basements. I get few checks that way and I don't have to worry about anything getting to them. Never once had a bug. Sure it takes a bit more time, but my stash is turned over now and Im never out of dry wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 02:09:03 pm »
The heat will cause them to check more than a place like Pearly mentioned.  I keep mine in my garage.  Its a metal pole barn type structure.  It gets pretty warm in there but not as bad as it would in Texas.  I don't have much of a problem with checking.  I seal them up with several thick coats.  I think that helps.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:14:07 pm »
  Another thing is that outside is bad, because it varies so much; wet one day, hot the next, etc...

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:24:12 pm »
My shop (uninsulted garage).  Hotter than young love in July and August in there but Checking is not a real problem as a rule, belly splits being the exception. Hardly ever get any bugs on my bodark, but I do on some of the whitewoods if I am not careful about the bug spray.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 01:20:21 am »
This is my stave shed/bacon/ham smokehouse. Its an old cattle feeder that was languishing unused in a pasture and has been given a chance to have a new life as a staveshed/smokehouse. I store staves under the rafters on the outside and have them lined up inside. There is plenty of airflow which I think helps with curing the stave and its in the shade so the heat in the summer is less than it would be if it was always direct sunlight. I think the key to keeping checking down is to get the bark off as soon as possible, seal the ends and back with shellac.  Let the moisture release thru the split belly. I like mine having to adjust to the natural MC in the air.

"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God