Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Flight arrow design & tradeoffs

(1/7) > >>

Badger:
       Getting the most out of arrows seems to be a bigger challenge than making a fast bow when it comes to regular flight shooting. This is an area that seems to baffle me more than anything. I thought I would just lay out a bunch of scenarios and try to figure out the best way to deal with them.

Scenario: You have 4 arrows, they all have the same fletches. Arrow 1.                  150 grains, 280 fps            150 grains      260 fps
                                                                                                             2.                  200 grains  250 fps            200 grains      235 fps
                                                                                                             3.                  250 grains  225 fps            250 grains      220 fps
                                                                                                             4.                  300 grains  210 fps            300 grains      210 fps 

I just answered my own question when I layed these two bows out side by side. The slightly slower bow on the right outshoots the faster bow on the left. Obvious reason is arrow flight. Bow one is a regular flite recurve bow, while bow 2 is an r/d longbow. Our goal right now is 400 yards with a 50# bow. This was done in the 1930's and 1940's I understand but my generation has not beeen able to repeat it yet. It is very possible that in those years a lot more arrows were being cast in a lot more competitions so that one great arrow would have much better odds of surfacing more often. A lot more guys were building flite bows instead of shooting longbows in a flite class as well. These little flight bows will shine with the light arrows. Finding out how to tune those very light arrows to your bow and then getting that light arrow to fly well is the big challenge. Allen Case seems to have a good grip on it. But I am thinking that simply shooting my heavier arrows because they are performing better is kind of a cop out if I am not going all out. We know from history that 150 grain arrows can fly, we just have to figure out how to do it.

PatM:
They also shot shorter "longbows" over 400 yards as well.

PatM:
BTW Are  bamboo/cane or reed arrows allowed in flight shooting?
 They should be.

Dan Perry:
Yes they are. It was a fight to get them allowed in the ELB class, but we one out in the end.

Alan gave me a stiff spined, bamboo flight arrow to try. It overshot the range into the marsh, and I never found it. I seated in close for an exploded arrow etc. and found nothing. The marsh was at 400 yards. The bow was a 43.5 pound hickory self bow. The best I did with other arrows, was 350 yards in competition, and around 367 in practice. Alan makes a great arrow.

redhawk55:
Reading Klopsteg's and other researches on Osmanian flightarchery, the arrows are about 200grs., depending on their length from 23" - 251/2".
All arrows are barrelled, max. diameter is 0.3. Deflection is 0.88 - 0.3, the wood is said to be pine.
The 0.33 deflection is driving me crazy, I have really done a lots of thrials, I ended up with 0.45 in deflection and 0.25 in max. diameter to be my best, but still 278grs. in weight.
How the hell they got such 200grs.!

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version