Author Topic: 56"TtT, 51#@28", narrow black locust (pic heavy!)  (Read 11930 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 56"TtT, 51#@28", narrow black locust (pic heavy!)
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 07:55:26 am »
Ive found BL to vary so greatly from tree to tree you would think it was a different wood. Greg has a batch you'd think was osage. His bows are all built as if they where osage and act the same. That batch is excellent bow wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 08:01:17 am »
Nice bow, great draw and tiller.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 08:28:30 am »
That's a sharp bow love those knocks

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 02:29:48 pm »
"Hand shock? Hasn't happened to me yet, but I've pretty comfortable making some tiny tips. I'm a big believer in keeping my bows short for the crazy cast I get, and these skinny numbers are just a smack in the face of the myth that locust MUST be wide ;) >:D It would have been easier if I'd told the guy I had to make it wide, and it probably would have taken half the set, but look at it! It works! ;D "

Meh, It's too short to worry about handshock.  You might have gotten a little more bend out of it further along the limb (but, I understand why you didn't.  ;) )
Looks really nice.  And if you go much wider, then you have to start working in a narrowed handle, and it messes the whole thing up.

I do NOT undertand the appeal of those flat, square handles, though.  (One of my shortcomings, "sigh".)    I would have to build up back and front with leather, but still let it bend.  One of the main reasons I don't get around to making many bendy handles.

Locust gets underestimated a lot.  I have recurved it, bamboo backed it, all kinds of stuff.  The problem is only that you think it is going to be amazing, and it turns out to be merely exceptional.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:33:05 pm by Springbuck »

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 02:37:55 pm »
Ive found BL to vary so greatly from tree to tree you would think it was a different wood. Greg has a batch you'd think was osage. His bows are all built as if they where osage and act the same. That batch is excellent bow wood.

You're absolutely right. The locust from my old property got its butt kicked by the wind all the time and makes bows like these, where some stuff "I got out of the middle of a small patch haven't even made it onto these forums because they just don't feel like anything special.

I'm working on the full draw guys ;) The outers are a bit stiff because they start to narrow a little past halfway from the grip, but the bend does make it right out to the tips. It's smooth shooting so I decided I wouldn't scrape away a good thing ::)

Heat treating is a big help in keeping the chrysalis away. On one test I tillered a one foot locust stick to three inches, heat treated half of it and adjusted tiller, and then yanked on it to see where the chrysalis show up and guess which side was ready to fold over before the other had chrysals ;D

Locust gets underestimated a lot.  I have recurved it, bamboo backed it, all kinds of stuff.  The problem is only that you think it is going to be amazing, and it turns out to be merely exceptional.

I'll admit when I got this order I said to myself, "Self, I'd sure like some osage right now; this is what that stuff grows for." It certainly would have taken less set but I can't call this a bad bow ;D
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline pincushin

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 05:38:27 pm »
come on i need to see a fd pic please

Offline Traxx

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 09:55:21 pm »
 I do NOT undertand the appeal of those flat, square handles, though.  (One of my shortcomings, "sigh".)    I would have to build up back and front with leather, but still let it bend.  One of the main reasons I don't get around to making many bendy handles.

If a person,uses a full grip,as i call it,then what you say is completely understandable.If a person uses a partial grip,where the bow rest on the meat of the thumb,and the fingers rest on the bows back,then it works much better,with less thump and it gets your arm further out of the way of the string.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 09:58:16 pm »
OH!!!!
And nice bow by the way.

Offline huisme

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 03:37:51 pm »
OH!!!!
And nice bow by the way.

Thank you ;)

You're right about the grip, I keep the tip of my middle finger and thumb gently pressed together to catch the bow, and if you make your tips light enough that's all you should need >:D  ;D
50#@26"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 11:19:51 am »
Where is the full draw picture?  Its just a fancy stick unless we see it bending  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 11:23:14 am »
Where is the full draw picture?  Its just a fancy stick unless we see it bending  ;D
+1

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 02:34:36 pm »
If a person,uses a full grip,as i call it,then what you say is completely understandable.If a person uses a partial grip,where the bow rest on the meat of the thumb,and the fingers rest on the bows back,then it works much better,with less thump and it gets your arm further out of the way of the string.
[/quote]

That is actually just about how I grip.  I don't grab a full fingered fist around a handle.  I promise, it's not you, ......it's me.....

Offline huisme

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 03:48:30 pm »
I know guys, still working on it. No photographers for a little bit, might be able to get a little help tomorrow-- which would be nice because I have two more to photograph.
50#@26"

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 06:17:26 pm »
When no ones around I film myself then take screen shots. Or use a timer on the camera. Works pretty good

Offline huisme

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2015, 02:26:40 pm »
I have a poershot A510, no timer and a butt about vids, so it's really only good for the photos I take. I'll have that iPhone eventually though ::)
50#@26"