Author Topic: 56"TtT, 51#@28", narrow black locust (pic heavy!)  (Read 11928 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
56"TtT, 51#@28", narrow black locust (pic heavy!)
« on: February 10, 2015, 02:43:20 pm »
Average width: 1"
Greatest width: 11/4"
Nocks: 7/16"
Length tip to tip: 56"
Length nock to nock: 55"
Draw: 51#@28"

Walnut overlays over single-pin nocks, tug-oil finish, sixteen strand green/black dynaflight-97 string, staryed with 1/2" reflex and ended with 11/2" of string follow.

Made this for a guy who wanted the look and didn't mind some set ??? I spent a lot of time making sure this thing didn't chrysal and I'm telling you the smooth shooting makes it worth it! I only got to shoot it for a few days but it was a real joy. Guy wanted the nocks and an open back wrap and jute pass after seeing Blaflair's first bow, but liked the look of my little rabbit shooter and didn't give up even after three long messages explaining set and string follow ::)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:55:49 pm by huisme »
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline dueb

Re: 56"TtT, 51#@28", narrow black locust (pic heavy!)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 03:00:11 pm »
Sweet bow! Love the walnut overlays!
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 03:13:48 pm »
Huisme,
      Nice bend man, Ya know I aint a grip wrap kinda guy but that bow is nice. Now that you have built some skinny-shorties, what's your opinion of the whole "hand shock" thing and "mediocure" performance. Seems like you built a fine hunting bow to me.
rich

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 03:20:24 pm »
Cool skinny bow.  You sure do like your single pin nocks don't you?   ;)

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 04:11:40 pm »
Looks really nice.  You are pulling 28" at  [nock to nock: 55"]   thats great I have some BL drying how long did you dry it for and how did you dry the wood. ?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 04:37:09 pm »
Noice! that thing sure is skinny, sweet bow
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 05:15:45 pm »
Huisme,
      Nice bend man, Ya know I aint a grip wrap kinda guy but that bow is nice. Now that you have built some skinny-shorties, what's your opinion of the whole "hand shock" thing and "mediocure" performance. Seems like you built a fine hunting bow to me.
rich

Hand shock? Hasn't happened to me yet, but I've pretty comfortable making some tiny tips. I'm a big believer in keeping my bows short for the crazy cast I get, and these skinny numbers are just a smack in the face of the myth that locust MUST be wide ;) >:D It would have been easier if I'd told the guy I had to make it wide, and it probably would have taken half the set, but look at it! It works! ;D

Looks really nice.  You are pulling 28" at  [nock to nock: 55"]   thats great I have some BL drying how long did you dry it for and how did you dry the wood. ?

I just kept it out of the rain for most of its life, nothing actually done to help it along. When I got it in the house I just left it on a rack at room temperature and only slightly lower humidity (Washington). It was just a touch wet the first time I heat treated it, nothing that would have been a problem. I'm sure the toasted belly was a big part of keeping this thing working ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 05:20:35 pm »
that is a beautiful bow.  I LOVE this style of bow and I'm trying my best to emulate it (I take a lot of inspiration from half eye's shorties too, thanks half eye).  There is just something that speaks to me in these shorter, bend through the handle bows - the simplicity and look are just awesome.  That's a great one Huisme! 
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:37:15 pm »
Pic heavy my butt Marc! Your missing the only pic that matters man. 28" drawn or bust! That braced profile looks wonky compared to it unbraced. Whats up?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 07:41:20 pm »
The outer 2/3s of both limbs look very flat at brace... the right being worse. A full draw shot would be valuable.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 07:49:55 pm »
I love short black locust bendy handle bows and narrow will work if its good quality locust, I've had both good and bad staves of it. I like to make sure it is good and dry before bending it to keep set at a minimum as well as some heat treating along the way. Works with my 24" draw but I don't think I could get 28" out of one at that length, good on you for making that one bend that far with no chrysals. Lets see her bend.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 12:30:31 am »
You did very well. I tried my hand with black locust a couple of months ago. Made a 64" inch recurve with 1 3/4 inch wide limbs and kept the belly flat. Put about 100 arrows through it and it chrysaled along one entire limb. Shot great though. I gave it to a friend as a wall hanger for her lakeside cabin.
Gordon

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 02:28:17 am »
Looks nice, but we gotta see her bend man!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 03:34:49 am »
another nice one Huisme
Love the single nocks! have to try them soon
keep pushing black locust R&D to the limits  ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 05:32:40 am »
Ya what Gordon said, these guys that can pull these BL shorties 55 n-n @28 draw and not get frets amaze me  ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good