Author Topic: Hickory backed Ipe tiller check.  (Read 9750 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Hickory backed Ipe tiller check.
« on: February 10, 2015, 02:01:41 pm »
I've just about got this thing wrapped up but id like to get some opinions on the tiller.  It braced at 4 1/2" in the pic and is pulling about 58# @ 28" with a full 6" brace. The pic with the full draw is 26" and the other is at 19". Thanks for the help.

The bottom pic is after scraping and is pulled to 20".   How does it look now? it is down to 52#@28"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:29:22 pm by TimothyR »
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Sidmand

Re: Hickory backed Ipe tiller check.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:25:22 pm »
I think it looks really good.  If I had to nitpick Id say there is maybe a little flat spot about 4 or 5 inches out from the riser on the right limb, but I don't know that it justifies scraping or not - especially if it's shooting good already.  Maybe just make that limb the bottom limb for a bit of extra strength?
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 02:38:25 pm »
Bit flat midlimb on the left and a whisper of a whippy hinge about 8 inches from the tip on the right.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 02:38:43 pm »
You need to draw your bow by hand now and take some pics. It will look a little different and it's the best way to fine tune your tiller the last couple scrapes

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 02:39:29 pm »
And ya, I agree with PatM

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 02:55:08 pm »
Pat and WG--If you drew that bow by hand with the left limb as the bottom would the tiller even out?

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 03:16:25 pm »
I don't think so. Changing the hand position will alter the amount of bend but not the way it's bending.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 03:29:59 pm »
That's REAL close to hinging. Better check for chrysals, in that area by the right tip.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 03:55:06 pm »
That's REAL close to hinging. Better check for chrysals, in that area by the right tip.
no chrysals.  I have shoot it and it shoots good. Kinda of heavy for my shoulder but the longer I shoot it the better I get with it. I do see the hinge.  I could take a bit more off I just dont want to mess it up. This will be my first hunting weight bow so im a bit scurd. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 04:13:32 pm »
Whats worse, losing a few #s, or punching yourself in the nose if that gets any worse
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 04:23:24 pm »
Whats worse, losing a few #s, or punching yourself in the nose if that gets any worse
right!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 04:35:12 pm »
The only thing that ever changes for me when I move from tree to hand is a few scrapes from my top limb fade.
A hingy bow is not a bow Id ever shoot or hunt with. your better off fixing the tiller, and if you end up underweight it's not a big deal. You'll hit hunting  weight on the next one for sure

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 06:56:36 pm »
You guys are right  I'll take off mid limb and fix the hinge Friday.  Have to work the next two days so I'll have to wait till Friday to work on it. I can still hunt with it down to 40# so I should be able to keep it above weight...40# would be better for the shoulder anyways.   Any ideas about the best course of action with the hinge?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 07:13:22 pm »
I agree with what's been said.try rotating the. Photo 180, 360 and it's plain to see.your right limb is also a bit flat on the midlimb towards the handle.i would start there to take some stress off of. The whipped area. The mids is. Where the limb. Has to. Work the most in order to keep the rest of the limb fresh and I think you may have pasted this point.hope not and good luck!sorry autogrammar thing on this phone is annoying
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:47 pm »
I'm no pro, and you have gotten some good advice. That being said. I might take a few scrapes off the inner third of the right limb. That might take the stress of the hinge area. I would also hit the mid limb area on the left limb a bit. Then re check your tiller. Just my opinion. Like I said I'm not a pro. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!