Author Topic: Hickory help  (Read 2504 times)

Offline kid bow

Hickory help
« on: February 09, 2015, 08:52:35 pm »
Ok so i built a handmade red oak bow for my buddy to learn how to Shoot in a different style and hes "absolutely in love" with it. This being said i wanna build him a hunting capable bow from hickory he has on his property. I need to know everything you guys experienced and have learned on how to deal with hickory. Its been two years since ive used any and dealt with hickory. Im just trying to learn all i can learn from you guys. I wanna get this stuff right and any information you guys can provide would be amazing. You guys are awesome for helping

-kid bow
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Drewster

Re: Hickory help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:29:04 pm »
If you have a choice between the smooth bark hickories (pignut, mockernut, etc) vs. shagbark hickory, go with the smooth bark varieties.  They make a little better bow.

The most ideal time to harvest hickory is in August.  If not August, any month that the sap is up will allow you to peel the bark off in big sheets and the growth ring right under the bark will become the back of your bow.  This will save you hours of time getting the bark off and chasing a ring.  August is a good month because the tree has had time for that last growth ring to reach its maximum size and the bark will still come off easily.

When I cut the log, I usually go ahead and split it into staves or billets, get the bark off and seal the end grain and back with two coats of shellac or wood glue.  Put the staves in a shaded, covered area with good air flow and let them dry for several weeks before moving them inside to continue drying.  Once they have dried for four to six weeks, depending on the weather conditions, I will often rough out a bow with the limbs an inch thick and 2"+ wide and steam in some reflex.  To do this you want to be around 20% MC.

Several more weeks air drying on the form and then the stave or billets go into my hot box for another month or six weeks.  Hickory needs to be in the 6-8% MC range to make a good bow.  Get it dry.  It'll be worth the wait.  One bowyer I have learned from will sometimes push a stave from green to a finished bow in 60 days by using his hot box, but I don't have the need to build bows that fast.

Hope this helps for starters.

Drew - Boone, NC

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:59:50 am »
Awesome thank you
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:08:26 am »
You can cut it now too if ya want....they may not peel like a banana this time of year, but it still comes off easy enough with a drawknife and the know how to use it. Itll take minutes not hours like drewster said. Just make sure to knife the bark off asap after ya cut it.

Also... Google is your friend.  There is gazillions of past threads in how best to treat hickory.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:11:48 am »
Get it dry.  It'll be worth the wait. 

True words of wisdom right there!
All you need to know.
Get it dry as possible , I don't care how long it takes you , days, weeks, or months !
Use heat
Have fun
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 10:19:59 am »
Also hickory takes heat treating very well.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 10:48:28 am »
If you have a choice between the smooth bark hickories (pignut, mockernut, etc) vs. shagbark hickory, go with the smooth bark varieties.  They make a little better bow.

Shagbark hickory makes excellent bows in my experience.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:22:48 am »
I have a pile of mockernut that's still green. Trust me you want to split it shortly after its cut, TRUST ME! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 01:07:52 pm »

Shagbark hickory makes excellent bows in my experience.
+1