Author Topic: Writing on bows?  (Read 9796 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Writing on bows?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 01:37:12 pm »
I use a fine tip sharpie and then just finish over with Tru Oil,don't rub the first coat until
it dries then just go on with the regular finish.My hand wrighting is awful so my wife dose
all the wrighting.I tell her what to wright and she take care of it.She even comes up with
the name now and then. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline uwe

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 01:57:28 pm »
Okay, I will test it on a scrap piece of wood.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 01:59:17 pm »
Same here, I use a fine-tipped Sharpie, or if the bow is dyed a dark color, a white paint pen.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 02:12:58 pm »
Same as Pappy except I like to put a coat or two of finish on first, makes for a smoother writing surface
and if ya mess up its easier to sand off
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline uwe

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 02:16:13 pm »
Is Tru Oil an american marque? I have shellack, tung oil (made of a chinese nut) for example.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 03:27:22 pm »
I use a water base marker for all writing on the bow then go over that with a couple coats of Tung oil, then shellac. The shellac will smear the water base marker but the Tung oil will not which is why I use the Tung oil first.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 05:06:41 pm »
Hey, uwe

Tru Oil is a gun stock finish, made by Birchwood Casey. It's a semi gloss, and gives a very deep, nice finish. You have to apply multiple coats, and drying time is long. It's worth the effort... it looks fantastic.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 07:13:35 pm »
Unfortunately Tru Oil has a Linseed base and Linseed oil has no moisture resistance. I don't consider it as an acceptable finish for a bow.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 07:38:10 pm »
Marc, your absolutely right about linseed oil, Im not a big fan of it, however, tru-oil has more than just linseed, thats just the base as you pointed out. Its got some good stuff in there. ;)....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Sabanim

• The Martial Arts Center
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 01:13:35 am »
I use the clear address labels and print out the whatever I want to put on the bow with my computor.
You just stick the label on it and seal over it with Eurathane.

Bill

PK

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 06:08:52 am »
i spent about 10  buck on various pens without any satisfaction, I ready A thread on the forum so I  bought a quill and ink and now I can say that I'm happy with the results. I know I need to work on my neetness but At least I can see it now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 11:10:37 am »
Unfortunately Tru Oil has a Linseed base and Linseed oil has no moisture resistance. I don't consider it as an acceptable finish for a bow.

I wasn't aware of this Marc, I've recently switched to tung oil with a few coats of tru oil on top if I want a shine.
The reason I switched is cost, I got tired of paying $6 for two ounces of tru oil.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 11:23:57 am »
It's not a problem if you live in a dry area but if you live where the RH is fairly high then I prefer a finish that has a good moisture resistance. That's why I use a 3 layer finish as I believe it has better moisture resistance, it is more work though

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 12:30:14 pm »
I got the 2 but what is the 3rd layer Marc, ???I have always used Tru Oil but might reconsider.
I do a lot of Hickory and it is damp here especially in the summer.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline markinengland

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 01:29:41 pm »
Edding do a brilliant pen for writing on bows. It is the Edding 8404 Special - Aerospace Marker. As it is for the Aerospace industry it writes on just about anything and is very durable. I found out about them from a friend who makes bows and is involved in making parts for the aero industry.
It has a fine tip, has water based pigment ink and is resistant to many solvents and cotings. Once dry it is light resistant and water resistant on most surfaces.
You can pick them up on ebay for not a lot of money.
Mark in England