Author Topic: How do you seal/finish your bows? what do you use, what is your process and why?  (Read 10573 times)

Offline dueb

Just curious about how you guys do it since I'm sure some of you do it different. If there is already a thread on this I apologize, and would like a link  ;)
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline bubby

Most of mine get 5-6 coats of tung oil sandind with hi grit between the last three or so , then i hit it with many coats of carnuba wax and buff the crap out of it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Will H

I like helmsman spar urathane gloss in the can. I apply 4-6 coats with a sponge brush 2-3 per day. Sanding between coats with 400grit. Then I finish with a coat of spar urathane spray satin.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline osage outlaw

I use 6 or 7 coats of tung oil applied with a cosmetic wedge. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hunterbob

I finish mine with about 6 coats of true oil. Sometimes I use 0000 steel wool between the last couple coats.

Offline Drewster

Sand to 220 grit, stain with Minwax oil base stain, or other stain of your choice, five to seven coats of Tru-Oil.  Sand with 400 wet/dry paper after the third coat or so.  Keep adding Tru-Oil until the grain is filled.  Two top coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane and rubbed out with rottenstone.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline adb

Wipe-on polyurethane. Comes in matte, semi-gloss, or high-gloss finish. Dries very quickly. Tougher than coffin nails.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
For osage, I use 3 coats of Tru Oil to seal the grain and 3 coats of spar urethane.
For whitewoods, I use Rit dissolved in denatured alcohol for a stain followed by 3 coats of spar urethane.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline dylanholderman

spray-on polyurethane rubbed down with 0000steel wool after it drys completely so that its not overly gripy

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
I sand to 400 grit and look for any tool marks or coarse sanding marks, indicate with a pencil and sand that out too. Then I hand-rub 5-6 coats of tru oil into it, also into the leather handle wrap. The tru-oil doesn't dry as well on the leather, but I give it time and rub it out.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
True oil is my preferred finish. I sand to about  300 grit. Apply an alcohol based stain if you want. Then I use wet sand paper about 400 grit, apply true oil and wet sand the bow creating a slurry keeping the bow wet with oil till I'm done wet sanding. This fills all the pores. Let it dry, then use 400 grit over the whole thing. Tac cloth it down and add about 8 to 10 coats of true oil, using 0000 steel wool between coats and making sure to use a Tac cloth to remove all dust. The last 2 coats I apply with my finger making sure to remove all streaks. When I'm happy with the finish I let it cure for at least 48 hours. Then spritz it with a little water and buff it good with carnauba car wax. This leaves a tough as nails high gloss finish. If I'm doing a satin finish. After applying the final cost I will very evenly and lightly buff it with the  0000 steel wool. Tac it off and apply the wax to achieve a beautiful satin finish.

I used this method when I refinished guns. I have set a gun stock in a bucket of water and using a moisture meter to check the but area never gained any moisture in the wood. Hope this helps,  process takes about a week. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline dueb

Thanks for all the responses guys.  :)
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

mikekeswick

Rustins plastic coat with a spray gun. 3 - 4 coats.
I'm going to get some conversion varnish soon to give it a try.
I have had sinew goes a little 'soggy' at the edges with a tru oil finish after being out in the rain for two days so I don't use it anymore.

Offline OTDEAN

Just hand rub lots of animal fat in and burnish the sucker with a spoon or antler!  Cheap, effective and looks great.  Just make sure you rub animal fat into the wood ever so often through the year and you are good to go.  I love lard, great stuff!

Offline Roy

Plastic coat? LMAO....